PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Seems like there is a lot of hype surrounding Sun Bear... is it really all that good, or is it just a lot of marketing of the "new small batch limited release one time only!" thing? I generally lean away from marketing hype, and there is quite a bit of it surrounding this blend, but if it's good, it's good, and I might try it.
I've seen it mentioned and talked about for the past year since the last release, so the hype and interest has been building for quite some time. I haven't yet tried it as it was last released before I joined the hobby. I know that it is a highly recommended VaOr by several forum members.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
FYI I placed an order this am for 8 off of SP. After I got notification that it shipped, went back to the website this evening and it let me place another order for 8 shipping tomorrow. Found a hole in the Matrix...

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Well, 8 tins is ALMOST just enough for free shipping. Also, maybe they are trying to stretch it a bit further this time given how fast the 2,000 tins of Mac Baren Stockton disappears last week at a limit of 10 tins/day. I wasn't able to get a tin of that to try, but maybe someday I'll have a chance to try it from a kind soul.

It's not clear how many out of the 8,000 were released for distribution to be sold by other vendors. It's a bit weird since C&D and SmokingPipes.com are both owned by the same parent company (Laudisi) and therefore participate in the entire production, distribution, and sales chain for the C&D products. At least some portion of the tins has been sent into the distribution chain for Small Batch releases. but this one seems to be more limited so far as only one other vendor (Cup O Joes, 5 tin limit) has shown Sun Bear as being available for purchase at this time.
TobaccoPipes had no limit but they sold out while I had 10 in my cart looking up other shit. Good thing SP still had some, thanks to their limit.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Hearing about this blend last year I was hoping they’d do another release. The honey topping sounded interesting so I grabbed one tin at midnight last night while also stocking up on some pease favorites. I’m looking forward to giving it a try!

Reactions: ofafeather

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I didn’t hear about this blend last year until it was already sold out and regretted not being able to try it. Purchased 6 tins last night at about 12:05 - 1 to open and taste test and 5 more for aging.

Reactions: ofafeather

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I sadly succumbed to the hype. I bought a tin last year. It’s been in a jar untouched. 2 tins to cellar this time. Maybe I’ll try this one in a year. What I’ve learned is I think I like Virginia’s with some age. Fresh Virginia’s not so much. Still experimenting with an open mind.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes. There have been plenty of honest discussions on this forum about hyped up blends, both pro and con.
I agree with you 100% about not buying into the hype in general. In this case, this is the second run of this particular blend and I've seen enough reviews over the past year to be willing to take the "risk" that I'll like it. Seems like these Small Batch blends tend to be released yearly so if you do think you'll like after reading some reviews it it will be around again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.