Got My Hands On A Vintage Manx Carve Your Own African Meerschaum Kit...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very cool. Glad you close cumberland as you don't see that much on meers. And as it colors it will only get richer looking. Did you have to bake it to cure it or was it already cured?

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Very cool. Glad you close cumberland as you don't see that much on meers. And as it colors it will only get richer looking. Did you have to bake it to cure it or was it already cured?

When you say "cured" do you mean to remove all moisture from the block? The kit was probably around 20+ years old so it was completely dryer out, no I did not bake it, tell me what you know about this please.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't know a lot about african meer, but turkish meer when taken from the ground is soft. And it is very easy to shape in this state. After the shaping process it is heated to solidify it or that is what I have read. Might want to look into the process a little more. I thought I read on the old pipe carving kits that after you carved your pipe you were supposed to put it in the oven on a low temp for a time to cure it and harden the meer. But don't take my word for it, do some research. I read everything I can on pipes, pipe making, etc. And that is an old recollection.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Seems they wet the blocks to make them soft, so maybe there isn't a baking process, just a drying, so you are probably good.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok this is where I read this. meerschaumstore.com. Here is the article. http://www.meerschaumstore.com/lopedia.htm

Nearly 300 years ago, the first meerschaum pipe was carved by hand. And today, these unique pipes are still carved by hand. The carver, a craftsman of unique ability and long experience, examines each piece of meerschaum, calculating the lines of cleavage along which it should be split. The split block-meerschaum is soaked in water for 15-30 minutes until the material achieves a cheese-like consistency. Working with the softened material, the carver determines the rough shape of the pipe before the bowl and draft hole are bored. Like all fine hand-crafted articles, no two meerschaums are alike. The carved meerschaum goes into a kiln at high temperature, a process that removes all moisture from the mineral. The shank is threaded and fitted with a stem. After meticulous polishing with the finest grade abrasives, the meerschaum is ready for waxing. Though there are many different wax formulas, beeswax alone yields the rich coloring associated with the finest meerschaums. Melted and then bleached, the beeswax is ready to receive the pipe itself. The subtle differences in color and tone among pipes are intentional, achieved by careful dipping of the pipes a specific number of times.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Seems they wet the blocks to make them soft, so maybe there isn't a baking process, just a drying, so you are probably good.

Thanks Shaintiques, I had read that info too but thought you might have come across something I had not, This is my second kit, the first one I did wet and carved by hand, this block I turned dry and knowing now how well it turns dry I will do it that way if I find another kit at a reasonable price.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
That is one hell of a pipe. African Meerchaum will always give the yellow dottled look instead of the consistent finish the Turkish Meerchaum gives. It is one of the distinguishing features of African Meerchaum. Personally I love the contrast of the yellow dottle. As with all Meerchaum it will change colour after a couple of years smoking, but you would have already known that.
To have gotten your hands on an African Meerchaum kit is quite rare, I'm glad you were able to turn it into such a beautiful Poker, I also love the Nickel shank cap you added, it's definitely a pipe that stands out as a one of a kind.
Very nice craftsmanship astrange you deserve to be in the top runnings to win the competition, my hat is off to you mate, very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.