PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Very nice! But I do have to say, accounting is your dream job? Not overpaid Beer Taster or Lingerie Critic?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
've never met a pencil licking, bean counter as wickedly clever as you so I'm sure you're the anomaly. But please be careful. Most lawyers I've met are pretty stodgy individuals and I'm afraid your sense of humor will make them uneasy and edgy.
That said, I'm very happy for you. Grab a root and growl, kiddo.
Fnord
I just have to respond to your post, Fnord. Mainly because I have several pipe smoking friends who are attorneys, including one who is a member of my local pipe club. I certainly mean you no offense, but it has been my experience with lawyers who have done business with me both professionally and personally (as well as my friends who are attorneys), that they are like any other profession. There are great ones, averages ones, and poor ones. With the US legal system now being as complicated as it is in all respects, having a trusted attorney nearby when help is needed, is like having a comforting pipe and tobacco at your side.
Finally, there are several respected pipe hobbyists who are attorneys and members of this forum and I just wanted to make sure they got a little backing on this thread from somebody, even if it was just me (I can't tell you what Adjudication or Voir Dire mean) or anything in between). :wink:
Pipestud

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Way to go! And, by the way, my son is an attorney, chief counsel for an energy firm. He is the opposite of stodgy.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Steve and Joe:
No offense meant to your friends or family members, gentlemen.
My comments are strictly based on my own experiences. I've met several hundred lawyers in my personal and my professional life and have found them to be, for the best part, pretty button downed individuals. The law, of course, is serious business and attracts serious individuals. Also - again in my experience and YMMF - accountants, engineers and many, many doctors will fall into that category.
(Give me a left brained engineer with a personality - somebody who can connect with people - and I'll gladly take the finders fee and present you half when I place that individual with Bechtel.)
Our friend Eric has a swell, irreverant sense of humor that tickles the living shit out of me. But, it can also annoy some people who have certain trades and that's all that I meant to state.
(Eric, I didn't mean to sidebar your thread. I'm very happy you've found a new place to hang your hat. Good on you, pal.)
Cheers,
Fnord

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I report directly to the controller and I can relate to her a bit, the lawyers and accountants here have a great sense of humor, I got to stay on my toes, thanks fnord for the comments. The person I am replacing (out of only 4 accountants) is getting promoted to a lawyer position and going to law school. I guess he's a lawyer in training or something like that. As for Roth, my parents are helping me with the costs. I'm also a white water kayaker, mountain biker, play any sport known to man and any game anyone is willing to play, I'm definitely not the average accountant mentality, I love risk and adventure (but avoid it like the plague when dealing with money), thanks guys :) Enjoying a nice Perdomo cigar with some coffee while I get ready for work, gotta use that smoking room in the hotel for something :) It didn't even smell bad when I came in, am quite happy with it. As for where I am living now, it's Pikesville, MD in the Greater Baltimore Area. Fader's Tobacconists is here, great smoke shop.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good job Eric. Keep up the hard work and things comes around eventually. Nice to hear a success story such as yours once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.