Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I gave myself one year to build up a 20 year cellar 2012-2013. Once I accomplished that feat, I still stocked a few older blends and some one of kinds, I then decided it was time to redo some work my pipe collection.

I set up a specific number of new pipes I was prepared to buy. I sold around 60 pipes, and bought 13 commissioned pipes from Jack Howell and plan on buying more if they become available. I have no intention of buying new tobacco, I am done with it. I have an eye out for other American artisans I already own so it should be fun. If not then 40 pipes is plenty as most are all commissioned and they all smoke great. My second cabinet has 15 spaces and glass doors so if I ever fill it I would be mildly surprised.

As of this count I have redone my collection 4-5 times now. I am fortunate that I know what prices should be and I never get into a bidding war. I bid a couple of days early and then see what shakes. Once I have made a final bid, I never change it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am about 6 months into my journey but taking a week or 2 away from pipe due to some salty mouth causing bad flavors. Believe to be from too much Latakia (See my other post).

During this time off I have cleaned all my pipes, organized, jarred every bulk or open tin, labeled, and have them organized into bins per category.

As far as my cellar and aging it now what do I do? Do I just ignore them until I smoke them, or should I be opening, drying, jarring again, etc. Are there secrets to aging to make them better and if so does work for all blend types? I would love to hear your tips especially if it help improve flavor or sweetness.
Once jarred or Mylared, leave the tobacco alone until you decide to smoke it. Generally, I jar in smaller amounts so that I'm only opening what I'm likely to smoke over the next month or so, and the rest continues to age undisturbed.

Get over the idea that aging "improves" tobaccos. Aging doesn't do that. Tobaccos change during aging. Whether that change is an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide. The only reason I stocked up on particular tobaccos was to ensure that I would have them to smoke in the future. Too many blends disappear without warning. Prices rise, taxes rise. Internet sales could very well be outlawed at some point.

Not all tobaccos change all that much. There's no constant. Some blends, like McClelland 2015, I prefer fresh. But I'd rather have some aged 2015, than no 2015. The better English blending houses release their blends already aged to the point that the tobacco represents what the blenders want it to taste like. It doesn't "need" further aging. But because distribution has been so unpredictable for the past 5 years or more, many of us stock up because we want to have it to smoke and can't predict when it will reappear. So we buy it and jar it, and hopefully like how it continues to evolve over time.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
That's no fun. Interesting things can happen with heat fluctuations. Some guys go with the summer-time garage or hot attic method of accelerating fermentation with VA blends. If you're game for experimenting, a few tins on dashboard of your car is not a bad place to start.
No funds to experiment.. I have them in jars, then flat plastic boxes with lids, then slid them under my bed. I keep room dark and cool. I am in Texas so garage gets too hot. I have 4 plastic bins. One for Virginia/VaPers, another for Latakia, another for Burley/DFK, and another for Aromatic/Codger. Each box holds 18 - 8 oz jars with room on the sides or top for 2 oz tins.

Sounds like I am set and just need to enjoy. I do have more in my cart / wish lists and seems there is always another I want even before I have tried all I have. I am blessed. Thanks everyone for support!!!

Reactions: seanv

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
If you envision growing your cellar beyond 4 plastic bins consider developing a method to track the contents of the cellar. I use an excel workbook, there are also some on line tools (free) available or you can use a notebook. The workbook I use is set up to automatically highlight blends that have greater than 5 years of age on them, if I have multiple tins of a given blend I'll usually select an older tin if available. I also use the workbook to keep track of whether I liked a blend or not, that helps to prevent re-purchasing a stinker blend.

Reactions: stogie37 and seanv

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
20220508_132648.jpg

How about letting it sit still and age? Let the value increase. Let the flavors join together, let harsh tobacco mellow out or become sweeter, etc... Grab what you want to smoke when you want it. That is the point isnt it?

Reactions: Old_Newby