PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the tip, I have a freehand style pipe that doesn't fit too well that I will have to try this on.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
While on-the-road I once used a couple turns of teflon tape from my tool-box. Quick, temporary fix for any kind of stem material. Was good for all day.

Jan 8, 2013
I think the bird hacked his account and changed the photo. Birds... I believe they are actually evil overlord aliens bent on taking over this world and enslaving us all.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
clear nail polish was recommened to me and it has worked out well. I can detect no smell or taste of it while smoking the pipe. Metal tenons, depending on the size you can use nail polish on them too. Now the stingers are a different beast, I remove the ones I can as they get pretty gross after a smoke. As far as tightening a stem with the small stingers, I am still looking for the answer to that one. So if anyone knows how to tighten a stem with a small thin stinger, let me know. Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Never thought of superglue... Better be able to pass a pipecleaner!

The superglue is just brushed on the tenon, don't get a cleaner near that! (and let it dry of course before putting the stem back on the pipe!)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As far as tightening a stem with the small stingers, I am still looking for the answer to that one. So if anyone knows how to tighten a stem with a small thin stinger, let me know. Thanks.
Are describing tightening a metal screw-in stem so that when it is tight, the stem doesn't line up? If so, you have to heat the metal screw-in piece, remove and reglue it in the right spot (I've heard this describved as "re-clocking")

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I tried the bird and the stem isn't loose anymore and the gurgling is also gone, but now my pipe tweets on its own!

Status
Not open for further replies.