Got a Strange Meerschaum, Any Ideas on ID?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Hey all,

I wasn't shopping for this pipe but it happened to be in a lot that I got and I'm a bit curious about it since there's no markings to my eye. I've posted an album at the bottom with every angle. I've never seen a pipe in this style/shape before so any info on possible dating or (long stretch I know) manufacturer info would be appreciated!

6JR8ykJ.jpeg

ALBUM of other angles

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Are you sure it’s meerschaum?
Not particularly, it's white in the spots where it's chipped and if I do the sticky test on the inside of the bowl it is a bit tacky, but nowhere near as much as my carved meer. The other thing I should say is that it's much heavier than that carved meer which is almost identical in size if not a bit bigger.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Not particularly, it's white in the spots where it's chipped and if I do the sticky test on the inside of the bowl it is a bit tacky, but nowhere near as much as my carved meer. The other thing I should say is that it's much heavier than that carved meer which is almost identical in size if not a bit bigger.
Weight isn't really a great indicator with meerschaum.

DSC_0479~2.JPGDSC_0480~2.JPG

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I haven't purchased a new meer in thirty years but, weight for me, is a great indicator of the quality of the meer. Overall quality being porosity which is an indicator of coloring possibilities. Of course one has to take in the size of the pipe and how much mineral has been excised. A lattice pipe would obviously weigh less than an uncarved bowl of the same size. Experience will tell one when a meer is "light."

Weight was a, not the, prime determiner for purchase for me. Quality of carve, if any, was also important. But, weighing two distinctly different pipes, one with a lot of mass removed, I would think simply proves which pipe is lighter. Of course I have no interest in used meerschaums. For me and many of the smokers I learned from and grew up with the weight of a new, pristine meerschaum was a factor to be considered when purchasing. Less weight indicates more air, ergo more and faster migration of the tobacco residues into the body of the pipe.

The above is entirely anecdotal so, scientific rebuttal is welcomed, even sought.

I'm a purist when it comes to meers so I've never handled a "pressed" nor, for that fact, even an African meer. So I can't speak to such.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Fascinating! That's almost half the weight. Is one of those block or pressed meerschaum? I wonder if pressed is lighter than block....... never really thought about that.
They are both block. I bought them in Eskisehir in person from the carver's apprentice while the carver, who didn't speak English, sat outside carving. The light one feels normal compared to other meerschaum pipes, whereas the billiard feels unusually heavy, even compared to other solid non-lattice pipes. That is why I bought it. We talked about that and he told me that there are different grades of stone.

turkgreeccaliforn-651.jpgturkgreeccaliforn-654.jpgturkgreeccaliforn-655.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JPremo

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I haven't purchased a new meer in thirty years but, weight for me, is a great indicator of the quality of the meer. Overall quality being porosity which is an indicator of coloring possibilities. Of course one has to take in the size of the pipe and how much mineral has been excised. A lattice pipe would obviously weigh less than an uncarved bowl of the same size. Experience will tell one when a meer is "light."

Weight was a, not the, prime determiner for purchase for me. Quality of carve, if any, was also important. But, weighing two distinctly different pipes, one with a lot of mass removed, I would think simply proves which pipe is lighter. Of course I have no interest in used meerschaums. For me and many of the smokers I learned from and grew up with the weight of a new, pristine meerschaum was a factor to be considered when purchasing. Less weight indicates more air, ergo more and faster migration of the tobacco residues into the body of the pipe.

The above is entirely anecdotal so, scientific rebuttal is welcomed, even sought.

I'm a purist when it comes to meers so I've never handled a "pressed" nor, for that fact, even an African meer. So I can't speak to such.
I don't think you can really see from these photos, but the lattice is larger than the billiard, and I honestly think it appears to be close to the same amount of material in either pipe.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
In the OP pipe, does it look like one piece? The ring between the two spherical parts: does it appear to be formed by carving or mushing like clay? And, what of all the scratches: a lot of them seem linear, and it makes me wonder if they are original or happened along the course of the pipes life.

Reactions: JPremo

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am sure it's clay. Might smoke great or at the least be an interesting experience. Whatever it is I like it. Simple but certainly a unique sensibility to the style. And how much it's worth(?) practically nothing or a surprising amount of cash but not in between. Personally it's a pretty interesting find no matter the details.

Reactions: JPremo and rajangan

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
In the OP pipe, does it look like one piece? The ring between the two spherical parts: does it appear to be formed by carving or mushing like clay?

So looking at the joint between the two spheres I don't think this was carved from one piece given the gaps. Or if it was, it has since been broken and repaired as indicated by discoloration around the connections.
kE8lpVs.jpg

bJOyrQ9.jpg

Reactions: rajangan
Status
Not open for further replies.