Jan 28, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I'm new to pipe smoking and ordered a pipe, is a bakelite pipe good or bad

Last edited by a moderator:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It was a gimmick used during the middle of the last century. I wouldn't use one. They are ok for the bit, not the bowl.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
In general, here and elsewhere, I've found it beneficial to ask questions before taking action. Of course, and obviously, YMMV.

Cobs are wonderful pipes for under ten bucks.

Reactions: diamondback
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Bakelite’s advantages are few. I like it for stems when they’re made by Nate King or other skilled artisan. But it’s brittle and hard. Definitely a specialty use material. I might consider purchasing a vintage Bakelite or Redmanol pipe, but mostly just as a collectible.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If you want good cheap pipe... get a MM hardwood. Mine is one of my best smokers. It has a break in period, after that they really do smoke well. I use mine just about every day.. I just wash it with water every couple of days and it never fails. I need to buy 10 more.. I think you can find them for 6 bucks.

Hilson had a line of Fantasia pipes that were meerschaum pipes with a bakelite shell. I collect these, and they are all great good smokers. Nowhere in the pipe does the smoke come into contact with the bakelite, and they smoke cool enough with the thick meerschaum insulation that they never get warm.

That said, I do not smoke the Fantasias very often, as I consider them just objects of my collection... and the actual chambers are tiny. But, if I were going to smoke them, I would make sure that the meer bowl inside was not wallowed out from over reaming, nor cracked at all.

My briar Hilsons, however, get smoked constantly.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes are the ones to buy. They are inexpensive, but personally I like to buy the ones that come with a stock acrylic stem for about $25 USD, because the stems don't get chewed up and replaced. I have advice on buying inexpensive briars, be I'll leave for another post. Cobs are good, easy to learn to smoke and valued by many smokers, newcomers and long term pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.