PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Not sure if anyone has read this as of yet, but today Roger Ebert passed away after a long battle with thyroid cancer that cost him most of his jaw and deprived us of a great movie reviewer. This guy was one of my inspirations for becoming a writer. I didn't always agree with his opinions, but I always respected his honesty. While most remember him for his show with Gene Siskel, he wrote for a Chicago newspaper for all his career, and was syndicated in many, many more. His writing had a style not found in most movie reviews, and whereas he watched movies with a much different eye than the common theater goer, he translated his thoughts into words we could all digest and appreciate.
Goodbye, Mr. Ebert. Siskel is waiting, and you both have plenty to talk about.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sad news indeed. We seem to be losing lots of greats in droves lately and TBH, I don't see very many coming in, worthy to take their places.
+1
I liked his reviews - he was a reliable reviewer with good insights.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
At least now he is in no more pain and is together again with his former show partner who passed away in 1999.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I always enjoyed his work. He had what is now a vanishing outlook: He thought his review was less important than the movie being reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.