Good Unsweetened, Unflavored Black Cavendish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019

Newminster 201 straight black is very bland smoked on its own, but may be okay for blending.

I've had good luck with Stokkebye 201 for blending, but is very sweet and probably not what you're looking for.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use unflavored black Cavendish in home mixes to increase the smoke volume and soften the flavor a bit. Cornell & Diehl makes a version that suits my needs, but I don't experience the medicinal flavor mentioned in an earlier post. That may relate to individual taste or the batch. When you want a decidedly mild smoke, it is also a good one by itself. The price is moderate in bulk.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I use C&D unflavored black cavendish for
blending, and I think it works well. I also use stoved Virginia (I still have some McClelland stock, but the Sutliff is pretty good too). IMO the BC and the SV have some considerable differences, without comment on the cavendish/not cavendish question.

Reactions: logs

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
The best Black Cavendish (IMO) is GH Black Cavendish. VA based in the European style. I have lbs of this but, I am not sure if it is available, even when GH is. And, yes, cavendish is steamed. There are some great stoved VA and they are not bad for mixing either. Burley Cavendish and/or Green River Cavendish is fine for flavoring if you are making an aromatic or an “American” blend. I would restrict its usage to that.