Good Unsweetened, Unflavored Black Cavendish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
For a little more $$ some higher quality is Rattray’s Dark Fragrant (contains Perique), Black VA, and McConnell’s Rich Dark Virginia. ?
Never tried it, but I’ve been smoking the hell out of some C&D Winchester lately, especially in the morning with coffee. Supposedly they’re similar. I might play with some of that for now, since I have it on hand, but I was planning on giving the Dark Fragrant a whirl anyway.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
From my understanding, cavendish is a style based on process (steam/heat).

I bought a pound of 507s earlier this year - it's decent but the cut size and bag odor remind me of fish food.

I mixed equal portions 507s and MacBaren VA#1, added 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp dark rum, then pressed the living shit out of it for 5 weeks. If smoked in a dim lit room after a few drinks I can almost pretend it's my dearly beloved Dark Star.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cavendish can be made out of any leaf so I imagine there could be a stoved VA cavendish out there. Warped, for example, is using cavendish made from cigar leaf. But it's more typical for unflavored black cavendish to be made from burley. It doesn't taste like stoved VA. It doesn't even really taste like burley... it's got it's own thing going.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The McConnell's rocks as hard as a non-Cavendish can. It makes Sutliff look like puppy chow. It really does.

Reactions: BROBS