PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Ever since I decided that Kaywoodie pipes weren't as terrible as I thought, I have been searching for a Kaywoodie Ninety-Fiver. Every time I found one I was either too late, it was in terrible shape, or it was shockingly expensive. This has gone on for almost 9 years.

Yesterday I was just browsing through Marty Pulvers' site and the pipe below was listed. It was a shape that I used to dislike but have grown fond of and it was...unsmoked? It is a Ninety-Fiver and yes, it has sat around for c. 70 years without being smoked. Plus, as usual, he had it priced at a point I couldn't refuse. I sent a request for it and found out today that I got it.

A little history of the Ninety-Fiver. They were made for the 95th anniversary of the KB&B company that started in 1851 (pipedia). They were a high-grade pipe for the time and sold for $20 when the Drinkless models sold for $3.50 and the Super-Grain models sold for $5. The only higher standard grade at the time were the Centennial pipes, of which I have never seen any.

Without further blah blah from me, here it is. The picture is courtesy of Marty Pulvers' site.

Kaywoodie 95er.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeah, to add to the deal, I also was able to order some of the cigars that he is selling so I get a nice selection of those that will be coming with it. The day is starting out well.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
That is a great looking pipe. I recently got the Kaywoodie bug.. great find. I am on the lookout for a tapered stem bulldog super grain. I have only seen ridiculous prices for them.

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
That is a great looking pipe. I recently got the Kaywoodie bug.. great find. I am on the lookout for a tapered stem bulldog super grain. I have only seen ridiculous prices for them.
Thank you.

I have an unsmoked 4-digit Super-Grain. I can't remember if it's saddle stem or tapered. I do know that I have a Heritage tapered stem blast bulldog that I have been thinking of moving on. Drop me a PM if you want me to look at either of them and send you some pics.

Reactions: Brew&Briar

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
After all those years searching ... and unsmoked! Superb! Congratulations on what amounts to a victory! That is a great looking pipe.

Reactions: captainsousie
Status
Not open for further replies.