PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I'd like to expand my knowledge of non-aromatic blends. I already know I like a good English/Latakia blend. I like the Acadian Perique blend I received in my sampler from tobaccopipes.com. Now I'd like to try an oriental blend. I'm thinking of non-latakia oriental blends to start simply to learn what they taste like without the aggressive lat flavor.
So far, I'm leaning towards Cairo by GL Pease. Is this a good intro to the style? Is there a better one? I'm getting falsely hung up on non-latakia?

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
McC's Smyrna is a wonderful smoke. There are hints of holiday spices that make this a great change of pace without going aromatic.
Edit: If excluding Lat isn't a big deal, try GLP's Abingdon and/or Meridian. Also, McC's Samovar.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Try through the grand orientals by mcclelland, or if on a tighter budget than that I find a pinch of mcclellands bulk turkish ribbon to be a very nice addition to a bowl of something virginia.
Also Rattrays Red Rapparee is a lovely oriental blend (at least that is how i characterise it) with just a small amount of latakia.
Isaac

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
As mortonbriar suggested, the McClelland Grand Oriental Line is a great place to start. But if you want true, unadulterated oriental tobacco flavor, McClelland's Blended Turkish Ribbon in bulk will fit the bill.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Virginia/Oriental blends are my very favorite tobaccos, but they are limited. McClelland has really kept the Oriental game at a high level with their Grand Oriental line. The Smyrna and Drama offerings are especially tasty.
No Latakia: McClelland Grand Orientals (except Highlander), McClelland No. 24. Pease Cairo
Heavy Oriental with latakia: McClelland Yenidje Highlander, Samovar. McConnell Oriental. Presbyterian. Rattray Red Rapparee. Peretti Royal. Dunhill Durbar.

I would suggest one of each type to see the differences. Like say, McClelland Drama Reserve (no latakia) and Rattray Red Rapparee.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Check here,
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/blending-tobaccos/
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/80423/peter-stokkebye-313-oriental/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On a budget? Sutliff's Balkan 957 surprised me. I went through a tin in a short time. A pleasing smoke.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I had no experience with Orientals. I have become a big VA fan and also have enjoyed a number of VaPers I have been trying the last several years. This year I smoked Seattle Pipe Clubs Deception Pass. I loved it from the first bole. Looking on the tin I discovered it contained Turkish tobacco. It is my favorite VaPer and can only conclude it is because of the Turkish that is added to the blend.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Okie, you might like McClellands #24 no per though.
I like Skiff Mixture for everyone.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I would have to vote for Skiff Mixture. There is Latakia in it but it is very orientals forward and a wonderful blend

Status
Not open for further replies.