PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
Since I decided to back to pipes a habit I put in hold for a long, mostly due to bite tongue discomfort (I know now is partially because the way I smoke) but I have been reading articules, lurking in sites and forums, watching videos in order to do things right this time and there is a phrase I have been found very often that make me wonder what really mean "good smoker".

Top grain briar are good smokers, Dunhill are good smokers, meerschaum makes good smokers, etc.

What makes a particular pipe a good smoker or not, it is a personal thing, it is draw related, taste, temp or any other physical attribute or maybe a combination of many of them.

I already have an thirteen pipe collection and I would like to know if any of them worth to be considered good smokers.

Thanks in advance for your help

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum. Only you can decide if any or all of your pipes are good smokers. All of mine are, but they didn't all start out that way.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Well, to me a good smoker is any pipe in which I find enjoyment from with little to minimum effort. You can get a good smoker inexpensively or you can spend a pretty penny. Sometimes, a pipe that was a terrible smoker at the beginning turns out to be a great smoker after a long break in period. One of my current favorite pipes absolutely sucked the first few months I acquired it new.... It generally refers to a pipe in which you get a good, smooth flavor out of, little to no gurgle,doesnt get hot quickly, but all that can also very from tobacco to tobacco. I have a few pipes in my rotation that smoke English/Balkans terribly but make VA shine, and vise versa. It all depends on how you experience it and smoke

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
Thank you all for your responses, look to me if I follow you guys that a good smoker is part physical attributes and part feeling of the person who smoke it, although @nunnster denoted things to be aware of to qualify as a good smoker, as I said I own few pipes but at the time only one tobacco Captain Black Gold (not the best choice ever) and suffer of bite tongue with all of my pipes so I guess my habits and the tobacco are the main reasons for that.

I enjoy my pipes and I think they are good smokers some better that others at least in my experience and with the resources I have at the moment.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
the tobacco are the main reasons for that.
That, my friend is probably part of your answer. I take it you are in an area with limited options?...

mawp

Lurker
Jul 15, 2019
@weezell I am in a country with limited option period although I have more than many others. I am In Venezuela and we are dealing with the worst crisis in our history so have access to imported goods is not an easy task not impossible either.

I will try to procure some better tobacco as soon as I can then I will have something to compare.

A few days ago I watched a video about bite tongue and it suggest that too moist/sweet tobacco could lead to bite tongue so I just left a little of my own outside of the can a couple of days and I guess (only one try is not enough to be sure) I had a better experience, I must said that I smoke my Medico brylon not briar pipe and this could affect the end results.

I will try again with another pipe in the rotation to see what happens and let you guys know

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I;'ve bought MOSTLY estate pipes myself from either friends when I was in a pipe club or off ebay. I have very few pipes I bought new. Hands down my worst smoking pipe is a Peterson that was my VERY FIRST pipe I bought new. I still maintain hope that it will stop being crap, but so far no luck and Ive had it since 2012...
My experience, since buying several dozen more pipes throughout the years, with probably over 200 in and out of my collection over the years, some are good, some are bad. No manufacture or price level contains only perfect pipes, and no manufacturer or price level only produces crap. I have 10 dollar pipes that are awesome, and I've had 200 dollar pipes that were bad.
I saw that your availability is limited, but just try what you can. That being said, from my experience I have never had a bad smoking cob. Even the seconds sold cheap on the missouri meerschaum website are pretty great.
Hope you find something that works for you.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, everyone who knows me knows I'm a Peterson fan. Strangely enough, the two Waterfords (no longer made) smoke better than my other Petersons. I can't imagine why--the only visible difference is they don't have a band, in short, a pure pipe in design. I treasure these two, plus my Irish Harps and my Draculas. The 107s of the latter two can't be found anymore except as estates.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
ADDENDUM: Another good smoker, and inexpensive as well, is the Cayuga pipe made and sold at Paul's Pipe Shop and Hospital in Flint, Michigan. I bought three classic billiards from them for under $100 and never regreted it. Their pipes are oil cured, so they are light clenchers and will custom make a pipe for you, probably for a reasonable price. They're the only real pipe store left in Michigan, and well worth the trip if you're ever in the Flint area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard, Venezuela, from central N.C. A quick answer to the question -- a good smoking pipe has a good draw, the one you prefer, whether wide open or more focused to your satisfaction; it is light weight for the size bowl and chamber; it has some measure of visual "delight," so you like to see it; likewise it has a good feel with balance and perhaps texture that is appealing; it is durable with your level of handling and use; it packs and lights easily and does not require excessive relights compared to other pipes. These characteristics occur in pipes all the way from a four dollar cob to a master carver collector's item. And as a member, sable', pointed out, good smoking is 25% pipe and 75% technique. You learn each pipe and a good pipe improves with this learning curve.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
To me, a good smoker is a pipe, that I can rely on without any negative surprises. It gives me a good smoke, no matter, what blend or cut type i consume in it. It is appealing to the eye lightweight and has a comfortable bit.
A have one pipe, that smokes outstandingly better than my others. I cannot tell, what the physical reasons are, but it is the pipe, I get the best tastes out of. It does not get too hot and does not gurgle. I almost always can smoke it to the end with nearly no dottle. I have other pipes with pretty similar dimensions, but my "best smoker" has a chamber for a 9mm filter. I do never use it with filters, so it is kind of a reverse calabash. This misused filter chamber cannot be the only reason for it's outstanding smoking characteristics, as I once had another pipe with such a chamber, that I've used in the same way and did not enjoy.
That's the pipe I'm talking about. A 2013 Dunhill Cumberland 4103F:
Cumberland.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
^^^ That Dunhill is a beauty! I love Cumberland stems. My bank account better watch its back :puffy:

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
A 2013 Dunhill Cumberland 4103F
Sorry. It is a County, not a Cumberland. I have mixed this up, because the County pipe too have, what Dunhill calls a Cumberland stem. Also the pipe was way brighter when I bought it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, can I get that pipe? Teasing aside, I believe each pipe has its own personality. Right now, I find my best smoking pipes are my Peterson Waterfords

Status
Not open for further replies.