Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I've heard people say a pipe was a good smoker, bad smoker or variations there of.

How would I know if a pipe was a good or bad smoker?

Are there brands that are better smokers than others? Luck of the draw?
If you smoke your pipe and get enjoyable experiences from it …it’s a good smoker. If you’re experienced & the pipe continually doesn’t cooperate for you despite your best efforts…then it’s a bad smoker. ☕

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I wouldn't worry about it. Most pipes are average smokers, just by probability. Bad, or extra good, pipes are a rarity. The former will taste bad always (green wood, engineering, whatever), and the latter will make every wackadoo blend you put in it sing. I've had several of both, over time and dozens of pipes. The rest are, you know...OK.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
IMHO they're all good unless they're not, and for a variety of reasons.

I bought a couple of nose warmers from a pipe maker 7 or 8 years ago that were made with green briar. The taste and sappiness was so bad even after 6 or 7 bowls I couldn't stand it. Sold them. They were bad pipes IMO.

I bought a MM limited addition Morganton Caroler a few months ago. The draw is constricted for some reason and I don't like this aspect of the pipe. I also consider this a bad pipe.

Other than that they're all good!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I have never experienced “green” briar.
Is there an accepted period that briar has to sit before it workable?
And I struggle to believe that a briar cutter is letting “green” briar out the door.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I have never experienced “green” briar.
Is there an accepted period that briar has to sit before it workable?
And I struggle to believe that a briar cutter is letting “green” briar out the door.
I'm no expert, but I suspect that the briar in pipes considered "green" were not aged and cooked long enough. I have myself experienced pipes that were made with green briar and it's not a pleasant smoke. It's hot, wet, and sappy. I suspect the pipe maker was not aware of the ageing of the briar he purchased to make the pipes. I can also imagine that it all looks the same till you heat it up and smoke a bowl out of it.

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
If you have quality briar, I think most are good. There are minor differences though that make one more pleasurable to one person over another. Those difference would be draft hole position, size and shape of bowl, stem length and material, filter vs non-filter, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I could also see instances where the briar was reliably cured and aged, but due to that particular bush- food, water, nutrients, soil, sun- didn't grow so well. Maybe it's extra wet. Or extra dense. (Though now all of those aspects could be determined by inspection, including radar or sonar like examination.)

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
My worst smoking pipe is a Vauen Fuego that cost way too much for what I got. Looks way better than it smokes.

Best smoking…..2x $25 Grabows. Go figure!

Reactions: FALaholic

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Are they all made of green briar?
I don't know about "all", but when I was in Denmark I visited 2 pipe factories and there was no sign at either that they were curing their wood at all. I'm sure they are not the only ones guilty of using "green" wood. Always seemed to me that the Danes are more about looks than smoking quality.

I once had a BC pipe that would gag a maggot. I suspect it was uncured and I was smoking tree sap.

Tip: Want to try some curing yourself? Start with olive oil. puffy