PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just to lend my voice to the long-time chorus of praise for Carter Hall, that good old

OTC blend of Virginia and burley. I finally caught up with it, nearly everyone's preferred

mild Americana blend, for breaking in pipes and just low-key enjoyment. I have cans of

Granger, opened, and Half and Half, unopened, but I'll have a can of this by and by.

Friendly smoke.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have one tub open, and three tubs put back. Some times, nothing else will do...

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I always have a tub of Carter Hall around. For me, it is the tobacco version of comfort food.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have a bunch of the little boxes. Each boxed pouch fills a pint jar. Yumm!
Also like the Prince in the red can; not the same I know, but yummy too.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I bought 4oz about 10 months ago, had a try right away, didnt like it. Tried again at 6 months.....didnt like it.
I'll try again now. Curious cause I like my Va's, VaPers, even bulls eye.
Warren.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ok, packed a bowl in my 1971 dunhill. I think it got better with age. Its not gonna be my favorite, but its a nice mellow smoke.

Basic, decent flavour.

I like....thanks for re-sparking my curiosity guys!
Warren.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Junkyard, that is precisely why I love it! I can't handle Lady N, just not a good mix for me. Anyways, I have a tub open and 2 more in the cellar. Next order will have another tub added to the cellar.
For me, it is the tobacco version of comfort food

Weezell I couldn't agree more!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I smoked my first tub in 2013, bought it in Feb or March and just worked my way through it for the year. I don't smoke much, a bowl a day or so, so it lasts a long time. It's actually a question I have, I'm guessing at this rate I won't be opening the new tubs for at least a year or two. Do you store them in the tub with the cellophane wrap and just leave them as is?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Go for it Jason, if you like simple Burley's then its a nice easy smoke.
Junkjard, I have an old kitchen pantry in my basement so it keeps all the light out and the house is climate controlled so it spends most of the year around 72 degrees. Note the two tubs of CH in the back.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
So I finally went to Dewey Ave Smokeshop, a local B&M in Rochester, NY and bought myself a box/pouch of Carter Hall, it really is quite good. The burley is most of what I noticed and it had a delicious creaminess to it that I enjoyed. Good room note as well. And my first beard is finally to a place where I can comment on an enjoyable beard note as well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just finished another pouch today. I have long sang the praises of Carter Hall.
One day, I took a pouch of CH and one of PA out to the woods.

I smoked around 6 bowls that day alternating between the two.

They are sooooo similar but the CH wins for me.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've done a 180 on Carter Hall. Started out ambivalent and recently find myself really liking it and reaching for it more often. I have "daytime blends" and "evening blends". For a daytime blend, Carter Hall is pretty high on my list right now (probably number four behind MacBaren Golden Extra, MB Burley London Blend, and H&H Angler's Dream). Carter Hall has the added value of being commonly available in my neck of the woods. I also like Wal-Hall: the 50/50 mixture of Carter Hall and Walnut that I learned about on this very forum. The Walnut adds a little depth and backbone to the Carter Hall and is a nice change of pace.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
CH is my full time "truck kit" smoke as well.

If I ever leave home without a premeditated smoke, God forbid,

there is ALWAYS a MM cob and pouch of CH in the truck.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I keep some around for break-ins, and I keep a cob and a pouch in my car for those times I forgot to bring anything else. I don't really like PA, for some reason it just dries out my tongue and doesn't have a great flavor.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
CH is still one of my go to blends. I love it in a cob. And for 3 bucks, you cant go wrong. It smokes fast but its a great OTC blend.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
brdavidson WOW Im a jealous man!
I am quite pleased with CH as well. I even use it to stretch out, make milder, or blend with a wet tobacco to help it burn better. And a Cob bowl alone at times even.

Status
Not open for further replies.