PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Huntertrw: I read Giddins' book, too. I completely agree with you.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Based upon my reading I get the impression that Mrs. Crosby suffered from what I would call "A Star is Born" syndrome, so named after the movie by that same title. She was a promising young movie starlet for whom Fox studios predicted great things. On the other hand Mr. Crosby (at the time) was just a nightclub singer, and something of a playboy with a reputation for drunkenness and unreliability. After their marriage his career took off, he became a paragon of punctuality, and his drinking moderated. In retrospect her career tanked, she became a mother and, eventually, an alcoholic, and slowly withdrew from the world. I cannot help but wonder if she resented being Mrs. Bing Crosby instead of Dixie Lee, movie star?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
You are probably both correct!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I enjoyed this. Bing's two films with Grace Kelley (be still, my beating heart) are a pleasure to watch. On his pipe: it seems thinner than most of the pipes I see online. What Dunhill size might it be?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I noticed that his collection of gold records is not hanging straight and square.

He always seemed to be 'comfortable' with himself and presented a wry sense of humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.