PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
Good Day Fellow Pipe Smokers,
I have followed this forum for some time now and eventually signed up March of last year. Since then, I have been reading and digesting as much information as possible when time will allow. I have had some great interaction with a couple members so far and look forward to much more. I hope to become more active on the forum and was bummed to miss out on the Secret Santa exchange due to low post activity. Christmas is without a doubt my favorite time of year. Plus, I’ve put together a fairly spectacular cellar and would like to do some trading with you all to balance it out.

Like so many of your Fathers and Grandfathers, my Grandpa enjoyed his tobacco immensely. He was a tobacco man all around. He didn’t discriminate against quality tobacco in its many forms. He could appreciate the different options at hand for different occasions. This must be where I get it from.
I absolutely idolized him as a kid and still do. He was truly special. A war hero and a fantastic craftsman among many, many other things. Reading different accounts from members here about their Fathers/Grandfathers always brings familiar and cherished memories of my Grandpa.

One night a couple years ago or so, after watching the Hatfields and McCoys series (I highly recommend!), my wife knowing of my fond memories and love for my Grandpa and my enjoyment of tobacco, encouraged me to try smoking a pipe in place of cigarettes/chewing tobacco. She also thought Kevin Costner was rather attractive with his pipe, so that didn’t hurt her enthusiasm. I had thought about trying it out on my own more than once. So agreeing that this was worth a shot, I immediately purchased several cobs to get started. After some time and research, I eventually purchased a Briarworks/Moonshine Morta Devil Anse. Then continued the hunt to find my favorite pipe tobaccos.

Slowly becoming more engaged over time, adding more pipes and tobacco along the way. Trying to keep to my end of the bargain, I have been fairly successful at least most of the time. I still smoke cigarettes more than i would like. I have cut out chewing tobacco. However, I am currently trying to kick smoking cigarettes all together with the help from smoking a pipe.
!!This is not easy!! Mac Baren Rustica has been my go to for nicotine among others. I’ve found I really enjoy Virginia and Virginia/perique blends. Some of my favorite blends are Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Fribourg&Treyer CVP and several others in both their lineups. Germain & Sons is a favorite with Dunbar, Tilbury etc........... Though at the moment, I am addicted to Sutliff Cringle Flake 2020.

I truly appreciate all the information and knowledge I’ve learned from the forum members here. I continue to learn more as time goes on. Lord knows at times I’ve needed the information and encouragement to continue on with pipe smoking during times of discouragement and temptations for the familiarity of cigarettes. I absolutely love smoking a pipe and look forward to it through out my day. So a huge thank you and a cheers to everyone on here for your help and encouragement through reading your post to others. Many of you make a significant impact on new pipe smokers.

I have to add my experience over the last couple years, while smoking a pipe around friends and family has been excellent. Even in public it has been fairly positive. People seem intrigued for the most part. A few have even been quite interested. I currently live in California, Sierra Nevada Mountains. Although, we are working on our exit plan ASAP!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good Day Fellow Pipe Smokers,

I truly appreciate all the information and knowledge I’ve learned from the forum members here.
Yeah I am kind of jealous. Back when I started in the archaic 90's finding solid info on pipes was pretty hard to do. You had to find books and stuff or more often then not you'd find a pipe smoker or two who gave as much useless advice as they gave helpful advice. The worst part is you didn't have enough pipe smokers to contradict each other and from which to give you the spectrum of personal experience to work from.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Attachments

• 1611591525346.png
    1611591525346.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Devil Anse

Devil Anse

Mar 29, 2020
California
Yeah I am kind of jealous. Back when I started in the archaic 90's finding solid info on pipes was pretty hard to do. You had to find books and stuff or more often then not you'd find a pipe smoker or two who gave as much useless advice as they gave helpful advice. The worst part is you didn't have enough pipe smokers to contradict each other and from which to give you the spectrum of personal experience to work from.
Certainly has made all the difference. Appreciate the welcome.

Devil Anse

Mar 29, 2020
California
I could have sworn that we had a member named Devil Anse a long time ago, but with my brain, if we had any bad blood, I won't remember it, ha ha. Welcome!
View attachment 62176
Oh I don’t know that fella. But, hopefully I’m the new and improved Devil Anse. Certainly no bad blood to speak of.
Thank you for the welcome it’s appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.