PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SlayerGG

Lurker
Jul 20, 2024
Russia, Far East
Very interesting and different stories you all have here!

My positive pipe smoking interactions were with my friends, especially with smokers (cigarettes). I also try to invite them to join me for a smoke once in a while. I give them my packed cob, we smoke, and after that I listen to their comments about how relaxing it is.
Wasn't able to get anyone to join the brotherhood of briar... yet.

Most of the time I just get odd looks or "At least better than cigarettes" comments. As I would like for people to see pipe smoking as something more normal I just don't pay any mind and focus on enjoying my pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and PaulRVA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The last thing I'd want to do is get a friend into burning up his moneys using tobacco and and into all perils so often mentioned here. High prices, scarcity of blends, the inability to find blends, guys hoarding blends in order to resell at higher prices.. Plus, I have no need of "smoking buddies". I just wouldn't do that to friends or, strangers for that matter. If someone seriously asks me about pipe smoking, I explain its a selfish, expensive choice and to weigh the risks against perceived benefits before making the decision. I love nicotine, have since I was twelve when introduced to cigarettes. But, sitting around watching my dollars waft to the ceiling is simply one of the many mistakes I made over seventy decades.

I would never, under any circumstances introduce anyone to smoking. There are just so many other, enjoyable things to buy. Thankfully, I have the means so I really want for nothing. But, that's for another thread, posted years ago.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
The last thing I'd want to do is get a friend into burning up his moneys using tobacco and and into all perils so often mentioned here. High prices, scarcity of blends, the inability to find blends, guys hoarding blends in order to resell at higher prices.. Plus, I have no need of "smoking buddies". I just wouldn't do that to friends or, strangers for that matter. If someone seriously asks me about pipe smoking, I explain its a selfish, expensive choice and to weigh the risks against perceived benefits before making the decision. I love nicotine, have since I was twelve when introduced to cigarettes. But, sitting around watching my dollars waft to the ceiling is simply one of the many mistakes I made over seventy decades.

I would never, under any circumstances introduce anyone to smoking. There are just so many other, enjoyable things to buy. Thankfully, I have the means so I really want for nothing. But, that's for another thread, posted years ago.
In my experience, everybody has "selfish expensive" hobbies, and we all waste our money on a variety of things/choices/hobbies through life. I suppose that's one of the points about living a life, and enjoying it in a way that is ones own choice.
The people you wouldn't want to waste their money on tobacco will be already wasting it on some other thing....I see all the people buying coffee at roadside stalls on my way to work every morning and wonder how so many people don't have kitchens.....or guys at work, all out buying lunch everyday while I'm eating leftovers. My friend is as tight as a snare drum, yet he buys model trains like they are going out of production!

Health wise....who really knows! The bread and sausage I just had for lunch has god knows what in it as well as the "grown in China" garlic. I was in the wood workshop before cutting timber, what's the sawdust particles doing to me? The health conscious people I know still get hit with cancers and all the things we wouldn't wish on anyone.

Would you view people that have any "vice" be it coffee, junk food, over medicating, addiction to mobile phones/social media, restoring or collecting things etc, as being selfish choices?

I don't mean this as a dig at you at all.....just wondering about your train of thought, and I have often wondered when reading your "this is selfish" posts.

Happy smokes mate,
Adam.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I'm pretty sure pipe smoking wasnt even a thing in my part of the country (east southern Alabama) even back when it was a thing everywhere else. When I smoke my pipe out in the world, people look at me like I've got three heads.

It's getting to be that if people see you smoking a cigarette they look at you like that, though...