PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
When I think of Scottish Blends, it's Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake and MacBaren's Scottish Mixture......though the MacB to me, is leaning a bit towards a Danish blend.
Both make me do my happy dance...

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Lol. You’re right about MB Mixture Scottish being a sleeper blend though. Great stuff. Only took me 20 years to get around to trying it.
MacB Scottish Mixture was my baptism by fire, in pipe smoking. Very first blend I ever purchased.
I thought I needed to be hospitalized, my tongue was so scorched.
Spoke with a lisp for a week

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I grabbed a couple of tins of this last time it was in stock. Sitting in the Cellar for later date. Nice looking cans though.

003-069-0005.7545.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Lol. You’re right about MB Mixture Scottish being a sleeper blend though. Great stuff. Only took me 20 years to get around to trying it.
Absolutely. I would have never even tried it if it weren’t for this very kind security guard at my last job. He came around while I was smoking in my car and he said, “I thought I smelled Latakia” Haha, only a pipe smoker knows what Latakia is. Anyway, we started getting together when I’d see him making his rounds, one time he gifted me a whole of tin of Scottish Mixture. I opened it expecting to be completely underwhelmed. I don’t think I’ve ever finished a tin as fast as I smoked through that one. Bought one more tin just to make sure that it really was a winner… I’ve been buying it by the pound ever since. The Flake is excellent too, both age gracefully.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I've been smoking quite a bit of Rattray's Red Rapparee and I can definitely recommend it - I think like other's have said a proper Scottish Mixture contains a good quantity of Cavendish but the main feature should be the Orientals. Latakia plays rhythm rather than lead.

The first Scottish Mixture I got was from Segar and snuff in Covent Garden (Highland Mixture I think). I hated it and was convinced that I hated black cavendish for a while afterwards.

RRR is great though as is McConnell's Oriental. I think I'm going to have to give MB Scottish Mixture a try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.