PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks! I propably had water on 97 degrees. Maybe I'll try 90 next time. :)
the one advice I have with tea is if it tastes too bitter brew it for slightly less time or at a slightly lower temp. One or the other or both will almost always get rid of the bitterness. Glad I could help as tea is one of the rare financially accessible luxuries, pipes are one of the other ones too. But both of them seem to give more refined pleasure per dollar spent then anything else.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
the one advice I have with tea is if it tastes too bitter brew it for slightly less time or at a slightly lower temp. One or the other or both will almost always get rid of the bitterness. Glad I could help as tea is one of the rare financially accessible luxuries, pipes are one of the other ones too. But both of them seem to give more refined pleasure per dollar spent then anything else.
I’ll second the advice on a shorter brew to combat bitter tea. Took me a long time to learn and trust that advice.
I couldn’t agree more that tea is one of the few affordable luxuries left for us to enjoy. Scotch whisky used to bring me quite a bit of enjoyment. Rising prices and collectors have driven me out of the game. Bourbon is well on its way too. Tea, like pipe tobacco, is full of complexities and flavors. Half the enjoyment is looking for and finding those hidden flavors. Hoping the world’s connoisseurs turn their attention to collecting responsibly sourced, organic horse turds or vintage, antique underwear.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
An easy "trick" to prevent bitterness, when you don't have the option of good temperature control, is to "wet" the tea with room temperature water before steeping. You don't want it sitting in water but you want it thoroughly wet. This helps prevent "scorching" the tea.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Lapsang Or Russian Caravan are my favorite black teas. The smokiness is great and comes through even when adding milk, honey.

Green teas are whole leaf usually from the middle or high mountain region of Taiwan. I have friends there.

Reactions: danimalia