PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Golden monkey is probably my favorite kind of tea and I just got a new one in so I thought I'd start a discussion for my fellow tea lovers.

I ran out of my last bit of Teavana brand golden monkey some time ago and I was a little frustrated trying to get it replaced. Teavana is not what it used to be to say the least. A simple search on amazon turned up a number of good options. I opted for FullChea brand Imperial Golden Monkey Yunnan black loose leaf. This is about twice the price of others but still $15 for 4 oz is not bad for what it is.

It came in a nice heavy sealed/resealable bag:

IMG_20210413_145421559.jpg

Inside are beautiful full length leaves of goodness (this is what tea should look like, not that stuff in satchels):

IMG_20210413_145415602.jpg

Steeping and anticipating:

IMG_20210413_145418653.jpg

The smell inside the bag is amazing! It has a definite aroma that reminds me of the smell of raking/bagging leaves in the fall plus a malty/bready smell and a dried fruit that I can't quite pin down but would probably call peach.

The flavor follows the aroma and does not disappoint! Woody, nutty, malty, fruity. Still not sure of which fruit though. Nice noticeable tannins but not overly so, much like a great wine. There's no bitterness to speak of. I'm enjoying it with a spoon of pure cane sugar so I couldn't tell you how sweet it is by itself but I'm loving it with the sugar!

This tea is rich and satisfying with a good body to it, so much that it overcame my afternoon coffee craving.

Once I get through this this bag I think I'll give their Fujian version a try.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I order all of my tea from Harney & Sons in New York.

Golden Monkey is $110 a pound and it's sold out. That's a little out of my price range.

Lately I've been drinking Japanese Hojicha tea. No tea leaves, all stems. Since there's no tea leaves, there's less caffeine...which is good for me.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
This particular one works out to $60/Lb but they have two others that are just under $30/Lb which I'm going to try next.

Their Fujian one mentions notes of chocolate/cocoa in the taste which sounds good.
Have not tried this one, but looks good to me! $25 for 250 gr for quality tea:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I recently watched a Samantha Brown travel show on PBS where she visited Harney & Sons. It looks beautiful where you live.

Cool. I just read about that show but haven’t seen it yet. It is beautiful here and Harney’s is a major employer in our area. They have the factory and store within a mile of each other.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

TimothySum66

Lurker
Jun 10, 2021
Miami
I bought the Golden Monkey from Tealyra Tea Shop (maybe someone knows it). I liked everything: the taste, the beautiful appearance of the tea leaf and of course the aroma. The prices are also democratic (I found a "coupon" for a discount). In short, I am very pleased with the purchase. There are 2 kinds, but I took Yunnan Golden Monkey Imperial. Who knows how it differs from Vietnam Golden Monkey?
If you need a coupon, you can use this one: 20% discount on tea.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have once tried Golden Monkey. I think it was a bit too strong. Of course, it might be the leaves weren't of best quality, and that added a bitter edge to the taste. After reading this, I may give it another try. After all, it really had a kind of fruity aroma, which was quite pleasant. :)
I find you want to brew it at a slightly lower temp then other black teas and for a little less time