PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have little experience with tobacco. One cig in 70's and one cigar in 80's. I recently decided to try smoking a pipe. The local tobacco shop was helpful, but there was a langage problem. Anyway I bought a $8 pipe and a package of pipe tobacco, Golden Harvest, mild blend. When I opened it, I took a big wiff. "Wow, that smells dank!" It lit fairly easily, but suddenly the dank turned to rank. Now that was a flavor I wish I could forget. I finished the bowl and tried another later to be sure my first reaction was correct.
Upon further review, I found this blend is intended for rolling cigarettes. That explains a lot. Later I found this site and learned about proper pipe tobacco. I have several other blends now that are much better. I guess this smoke was like the first job at a restaurant. There is nowhere to go, but up!
Winton

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Winton...Thanks for sharing your experience.....I believe we can all identify with having tried a tobacco like this one. Hopefully, the other "much better" blends will get you going in a more pleasant direction.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome winton. It does take some trial and error to find what is good for you to smoke. You will find that we are a friendly bunch with lots of info, so don't be bashful in asking any questions you may have. May I suggest Lane 1Q to start off with. It is available online and is quite affordable.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
One of my first forays into pipe tobacco found me with a tin of Peterson's Old Dublin. Some members here like it, but to me it is plain awful. Funny thing is, some say it is similar to Balkan Sasieni, which I enjoy every now and then.
To each, his or her own I guess.
-Jason

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I always suggest a new pipe smoker to start with Prince Albert as it is mild, tastes good, stays lit and practically smokes itself, and cakes you pipe fast, them expand out from there after you get the hang of it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
May I suggest Lane 1Q to start off with. It is available online and is quite affordable.

I second that suggestion.

Winton, welcome.

You'll find the hobby is a most gratifying one, with entry very easy and intricacy to come.
We all look forward to more of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.