PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just the other day I was out in my car and found the pouch empty. I was forced to go cold turkey for a couple hours until I got home. Torture.
O, the humanity! I feel for ya', man.

Thanks, as it reminds me to check my trunk for the emergency pipe and unopened tin. Both were used recently, so the spare equipment needs replacing.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just had to go two days without my pipe, as I had 7 teeth pulled......yeah that's all because of my "omega mouth" they say.

So I kinda understand how you feel. That's the longest I've gone without it in....well...ever I think.

Reactions: Elric

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Im a once a week smoker so take that fwiw but I went about 3 weeks after my daughter was born. Just too damn busy and had to finger feed her with a tube for a bit so I didn’t want my baccy fingers all up in her little mouth.

Just curious, do you have the same day each week for your 1 smoke, or just go by when you are most craving it? Do you smoke so little due to health concerns? I get it... I am just getting started and think that if I maybe had 2-3 per week at the most, I would feel engaged in the hobby and able to try enough different pipes and tobaccos, but not be paranoid about health issues with that level of (in)frequency.

thanks
Drew

Reactions: jpmcwjr

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I usually smoke 5-10 bowls a day, but Im admittedly still a noob and struggle with tongue burn sometimes. Last week I tried Comoy's Cask No. 1 and it burned so bad I had to take 3 days off from pipe smoking to let my tongue heal so I could taste Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday (we do it early). That was the longest I've gone without a bowl in 6 months or so, but to be honest, I just upped my cigar intake for those three days ?‍♂️

Reactions: Elric and jpmcwjr

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
About 20 years give or take.

Started smoking a pipe at age 19 I got up to a 5 to 7 bowl a day habit until I quit cold turkey at age 38. Recently started up again about a year ago.

I don't smoke any where as frequently as I used to. I'm more into collecting pipes and trying different blends just for the enjoyment of the hobby.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am a 3-5 day pipe smoker. Mostly evenings. Since I started 6-8 months ago I have stayed with that cadence. Can't imagine smoking less than that... more likely I'll be doing it more. I also buy at least 2 pipes per week. Hmmm... I might have a problem.

btw... I love your tagline quote by CS Lewis... deep!

"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body”
C.S. Lewis

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just curious, do you have the same day each week for your 1 smoke, or just go by when you are most craving it? Do you smoke so little due to health concerns? I get it... I am just getting started and think that if I maybe had 2-3 per week at the most, I would feel engaged in the hobby and able to try enough different pipes and tobaccos, but not be paranoid about health issues with that level of (in)frequency.

thanks
Drew
I have no set day, but It is usually either Saturday or Sunday, simply because those are the days I have the time. With my wife at home with the baby all day on weekdays, when I get off work I'm pretty much on baby duty until we go to bed, so no time to smoke. I just smoke whenever it feels like a good time over the weekend.

Yes, I smoke so little because of health concerns. I won't elaborate too much, for fear of igniting what always ends up being a very opinionated and scientifically worthless debacle on the forum. Suffice it to say, as you mentioned, I believe that less exposure = less risk, regardless of how significant you personally believe those risks are.

Would I like to smoke more? Of course (and I do some weeks if there is a special occasion, and I allow myself to smoke as desired whenever I am hunting or fishing, so there are a couple weeks a year that I have 2 or 3 bowls a day). But I find when I smoke more often outside of those special times, the paranoid stressing about the health risks outweighs the pleasure of the pipe in the first place, so I stick with my current regimen.

The bright side is, my cellar is relatively small compared to many folks here (I probably have 20lbs or so squirreled away, 100s of different blends), but it will last me, at minimum, a lifetime or two.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
When I get sick or busy. I smoke a bowl a week to a bowl a day depending on life circumstances. I’ve been sick for a few weeks now and haven’t had a bowl yet this month that I can remember.

• Wow

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Several weeks. I caught the flu and then had a funny feeling like there was something stuck in the back of my throat. I waited until that funny feeling went away. This all was preceded by my sons and wife getting sick and I couldn't find time to smoke then either. So about 3 or 4 weeks all told. I missed smoking a pipe but it didn't drive me crazy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I started getting into cigars last summer, and I didn't smoke a single pipe for two or three months. I probably spent more money on cigars in those 2-3 months than I spent on pipes and tobacco in the entire previous year :oops: I do still have quite a few cigars in my humidor, and they should be very nicely aged by the time summer rolls around again.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I started getting into cigars last summer, and I didn't smoke a single pipe for two or three months. I probably spent more money on cigars in those 2-3 months than I spent on pipes and tobacco in the entire previous year :oops: I do still have quite a few cigars in my humidor, and they should be very nicely aged by the time summer rolls around again.

Strong economic argument to smoke a pipe!?

McBragg

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
I am up at my other house for Thanksgiving, I don't light up in the house and it's too cold outside to enjoy. It's been 6 days. Maybe I will have one tonight.

Try some dry tobacco in a small bowl with a half load for a quicker smoke. You can go out front and hang for a fifteen minute pipe load. For me it's not the nicotine, it just puts me in relax mode. A hot cup of coffee and a dry load of Presbyterian mix sounds good.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.