PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
When done it will be pretty floppy. Sometimes they are done at 200, but I’ve had them go up to 210. They are done when they are done.
YES! I forgot to mention the floppy test! That's when it done!

I just don't get to smoke as much anymore, and I've lost my memory on it lol. I used to do a brisket every other month. Now I can only afford to do a brisket a year if that, because they are just too damn expensive. This used to be a poor mans hobby, but it's an expensive hobby now ugh.. don't get me started on the cost of shit these days...

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
YES! I forgot to mention the floppy test! That's when it done!

I just don't get to smoke as much anymore, and I've lost my memory on it lol. I used to do a brisket every other month. Now I can only afford to do a brisket a year if that, because they are just too damn expensive. This used to be a poor mans hobby, but it's an expensive hobby now ugh.. don't get me started on the cost of shit these days...
Amen brother! When I quit a few years ago I was paying over $4/lb from my restaurant supply for Double R Ranch brisket. The IBP and other commodity brands, increasingly, just tasted off....

Reactions: monty55
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Firing up the Pit Barrel today for some pulled pork. My wife is from a tiny farm/ranch community in Wyoming. And by tiny, I mean fewer than 100 people in the “town”.

Every spring, we buy a quarter of beef and half a hog from a few of the folks up there. Partially to support the small operations, but mostly because the meat is incredible! Getting to be time to start clearing room in the freezer. Found a shoulder from last year’s hog. I usually make carnitas with pork shoulder (wife’s favorite) but this thread made me want BBQ! Smoke on!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Firing up the Pit Barrel today for some pulled pork. My wife is from a tiny farm/ranch community in Wyoming. And by tiny, I mean fewer than 100 people in the “town”.

Every spring, we buy a quarter of beef and half a hog from a few of the folks up there. Partially to support the small operations, but mostly because the meat is incredible! Getting to be time to start clearing room in the freezer. Found a shoulder from last year’s hog. I usually make carnitas with pork shoulder (wife’s favorite) but this thread made me want BBQ! Smoke on!
Nice, nice, nice. I have a full freezer in the garage for meat storage. I've debated getting a quarter of beef but only myself and toddler eat red meat.

I often use left over pulled pork for BBQ nachos and tex-mex carnita tacos or enchiladas. Since there's only two of us that enjoy the pleasures of pork flesh, we always have leftovers so YMMV.

I also do a lot of cooking on the weekends to have meals or food prepped for the week. Today it's BBQ spare ribs, which will provide rib snackers throughout the week. I'd smoke them, but it's hard to maintain and clean while having Daddy Daycare.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Everything turned out great but the brisket could've been a little more tender. Definitely need to keep tweaking my methods but it was a noticeable improvement over previous attempts.

The pork belly was phenomenal but even that might be improved on.

I have a Masterbuilt 20070215 electric smoker:

View attachment 191139

One thing I know for certain is I have to learn to adjust my methods to suit my particular smoker. Trying to follow a competition level method for a massive offset smoker doesn't work.

The brisket came up to 145 degrees in just over 2 hours with the smoker set at 200 degrees. At that point I shut the smoker off let it sit for about an hour and a half. After that the brisket had dropped down to 108 when I restarted the smoker and set it to 275. The brisket stalled when it hit 160.

Fully cooked and safe to eat so now I need to adjust for more tenderness.

For pork belly heaven follow this method and recipe:

Just got mine working again. The power control board got water in it & was fried. Gonna toss in some sausage & chicken thighs to smoke for gumbo. Happy smoking!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I just picked up a nice big pork belly yesterday. I usually cut it into thirds and smoke one third at a time since I have smaller pellet smokers and it's usually just me and my wife eating it. I do a dry rub (I sometimes make my own) over yellow mustard binder and I always do a pink butcher paper wrap when the meat hits 160 degrees. I like to be able to easily slice my pork belly so I usually don't go much beyond 200 degrees internal temp, and sometimes I stop at 190.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm planning a pool party next weekend and my smoker isn't big enough for the number of guests so I'm thinking of pre-smoking the pork belly the night before and finishing the glaze portion in the oven the next day. This will give more room in the smoker the next day.

20221230_125203.jpg
I do the same thing with those cookie cooling racks. I can get a whole spatchcock chicken on one, and I usually smoke two at a time.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

I saw the Pit Barrel Cooker last year, was very close to buying it although I am not even sure the original Pit Barrel Cooker is available in Europe other than in the UK. Only reason I didn't is because my building does not allow coal-fired cookers. I thought it may be hype though amazingribs rates it, and I am convinced it is the best resource for anything grill-related. How is it working for you?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I'm planning a pool party next weekend and my smoker isn't big enough for the number of guests so I'm thinking of pre-smoking the pork belly the night before and finishing the glaze portion in the oven the next day. This will give more room in the smoker the next day.
OK - I see you are in Vegas. I was gonna say "Pool Party, in January!"

Reactions: shanez
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I saw the Pit Barrel Cooker last year, was very close to buying it although I am not even sure the original Pit Barrel Cooker is available in Europe other than in the UK. Only reason I didn't is because my building does not allow coal-fired cookers. I thought it may be hype though amazingribs rates it, and I am convinced it is the best resource for anything grill-related. How is it working for you?
I really like it. Pretty straightforward. Nothing too special about it, just a simple set and forget cooker that cranks out some pretty good food. It’s especially good for ribs. Hanging whole turkeys is pretty fun too!

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
3 Lbs black pepper bacon
3.5 Lbs pork belly
4 Lbs brisket

This should work great for 6 people over 5-ish hours. I try to serve the food early and then everyone can free range graze at their leisure the rest of the night.

I didn't separate the brisket flat from the point right but at least I got it pretty uniformly thick which should help.

I cubed the pork belly and I'm loosely following Malcolm Reed's instructions for pork belly burnt ends.

And so the journey begins:

View attachment 190959

View attachment 190960

View attachment 190961

I'm using Bad Byron's Butt Rub on both the brisket and pork belly.
Some people call him, Maurice. Some call him the smoker of love.