PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Wow.

:puffy:
That's a very long time indeed!
Have you been actively collecting pipes for that long as well?
The British pipes have seemed to always been very popular in Denmark,

do you have a favorite brand?

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Yes,I have spent money on pipes since I was 17 and started to earn money.

When I buy a pipe it is not for collection but to smoke it.

I have around 425 pipes in my unsmoked stock.Most Peterson around 115,some Dunhills,an Ashton S.G.,an Sasieni Four Dot Rustic, some Comoys Upshalls BBBs Orliks and Charatans.Many Blakemars and a few of Mr.Huybrechts.

And then there are all the smoked ones.

About 40 are in a carbinet (from Pibe Dan),about 36 in racks.

I do not display my own foolishness so the rest are hidden in shoeboxes etc in the flat and in a chartol of my wifes.

But time is running so I better start to break some in.
In fact, a need a pair of shoes for the summer.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
One does admire the Danish command of English. No more so than their description of capstan brown, best review ever!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
misterlowercase...I just LOVE this guy! You da man and don't let anyone tell you different, the weez... :worship:

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Again, awesome thread! Per - thank you for sharing your notes on language and your pipe stock. That's a lot of unsmoked pipes, better get started!

May 31, 2012
Jensen has kindly sent some more images to share with us:
KaFSCi1.jpg

hBrurbU.jpg

FaEMwTf.jpg

WYWGMtP.jpg

9YPBOQ0.jpg

Waby81e.jpg

3rA3DDb.jpg

u4RqYSf.jpg

zqZ6lRT.jpg
Note that delightful "Tobak" brochure which features some wonderful artwork by Robert Storm Petersen,

who also showed up earlier in a pic from Jakob's book, can you see the red Storm P. pouch?
g3MajLs.jpg

Who is Storm P.?
I'm glad you asked.
Storm P. was another famous figure in Denmark's pipesmoking history, he was a talented artist and was well-known to be a dedicated pipesmoker.
As such, he also probably influenced Danish pipesmokers just like the other 2 gentlemen we are discussing.
Here is his museum:

http://www.stormp.dk/
Here are a few images:
unUS0ao.jpg

YniXd3H.jpg

XkUvoEE.jpg

eU1TbAO.jpg

nnoJFjK.jpg

liKJ4ke.jpg

HpATWwB.jpg

PcbEpCD.jpg

qJ5fJUW.jpg

LrW9APL.jpg
And,

check out this cool video!
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWAfY-iArDU
:
Take special note of that nest of cutter-top tins at 0:35 -- he had most excellent taste!

Reactions: autumnfog

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
First Class indeed! I'm not very familiar with Storm Peterson but from the things in his office, he must have been a pretty interesting character.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Storm P. was a big pipecollector - pipes of all sorts. His museum it just 300 up our street.First time I was visiting there were pipes displayed on a table.. and there was this little Orlik.......and you think,should I jump over the wire,take it and run away.........but if you visit I think it will still be there,

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
The brochure with Harlech Castle,Fraser,Black Friar and Brown Ripples is from around 1938.Only Harlech Castle is not in Jakobs book - the last three went out of the market a few years ago.I still have one tin of Ripples and one thin of Black Friar and thats it.

In the 60 and 70ties Black Friar was in a curved tin so you could have it in your back pocket.

In my time there were also a red and a blue Rippels - but they went out years ago.

May 31, 2012
I'm curious about the Tobak brochure,

what is it?
The smoking machine on p. 9,

what is it?
I love the Storm P. drawing of him tucking a pipe to bed.

:)
Do you happen to have a shape 5512 BBB as depicted in the Tobak brochure?

Perhaps we can work out a trade!

:P

I love those stubby little billiards from the old days.

Sounds like you got more pipes than you need anyways! :wink:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
The Tobak brochure from Wilh. Jørgensen must be from before 1938 as Ripples is not mentioned in the R.Færch pricelist.

A Danish tobacco (WJs own brand) Bass Mixture was 1,00/ 50 grams.Bells Three Nuns 3.00/ 50 grams.Thats was long ago.

Wilh. Jørgensen were agent for BBB pipes here and were it for more than 100 years.

BBB was the front runner in pipes then.We called it a "3B".Even my mother knew it,she called it a "B3".

At the time for the brochure they had a main shop ( a very fine one) on the main street of Copenhagen and three other shops around in the town.
In the brochure: The history of tobacco,the origin of the pipe,meer and amber.Shape cards for BBB pipes from 8,50

to 45,00 for st. grains.Price lists for tobacco and cigars and the "modern lighter" Colibri,prices from 6,50.
The machine is a "breaking in machine" in the pipedepartment at the main shop.I suppose you could buy a pipe

and have it broken in on the spot.What an idea.
From once in the 50ties and until a few years ago there were made a BBB Chistmas pipe for the Danish market.

W.J.took orders from the tobacconists from the late summer and all pipes were sent out to the tobacconists

on the same day in oktober/ november.

In the 70ties W.J. also made the Viby pipe.
Unfornately no BBB shape 5512 in stock - if, I think I would keep it for myself.

May 31, 2012
The Tobak brochure from Wilh. Jørgensen must be from before 1938 as Ripples is not mentioned in the R.Færch pricelist.

A Danish tobacco (WJs own brand) Bass Mixture was 1,00/ 50 grams.Bells Three Nuns 3.00/ 50 grams.Thats was long ago.

Wilh. Jørgensen were agent for BBB pipes here and were it for more than 100 years.

BBB was the front runner in pipes then.We called it a "3B".Even my mother knew it,she called it a "B3".

At the time for the brochure they had a main shop ( a very fine one) on the main street of Copenhagen and three other shops around in the town.
Too cool.

I really dig the 3B lingo, I noticed in Groth's book that he called Mick McQuaid "MicMac" which is also what they sometimes called it in Ireland --- and, from Denmark as developed by Gert Holbek, I also liked the 2211 pipe cleaning fluid, I was lucky to be able to try it out before it was discontinued, I thought it was very very good, and I liked how some people called it "toogtyveellve". :)
In the brochure: The history of tobacco,the origin of the pipe,meer and amber.Shape cards for BBB pipes from 8,50

to 45,00 for st. grains.Price lists for tobacco and cigars and the "modern lighter" Colibri,prices from 6,50.
The machine is a "breaking in machine" in the pipedepartment at the main shop.I suppose you could buy a pipe

and have it broken in on the spot.What an idea.
Thanks for the brochure description, neat stuff.
And the "breaking in machine", simply incredible!!! There have been similar machines in the USA but they were used by pipe factories and not in a tobacco shop! That is just too damn cool. 8)
Unfornately no BBB shape 5512 in stock - if, I think I would keep it for myself.
:crying:

I thought it might be worth a try...

stranger things have happened! :P
btw

Would you happen to know William Krogh Lundsgaard?

He is where I got the books from back when I was buying some older Stanwells from him at his online shop:

http://www.estatebriarpipes.dk/
He's a fine gentleman indeed, and I think he has more pipes than even you! :P

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I do not know William but I know who he is.He always sells pipes at the Championship.

Some time ago I was thinking of buying some Masta pipes from him...........but what should I use them to as I have some.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Aja, William once sold me a large Charatan bent. Its ugly I said to Iversen.......yes,he said, but in the fine way, So then I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.