Glue or Not Glue the Stem That's the Question?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

eduardovieira

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2016
Oporto, Portugal
My friends thanks for the opinion.
I decided to glue them... I read several opinions, but oneopinion was decisive to me.
As Sabina Santos says, bamboo is sensitive to variations of temperature.
If I don't want problems in the future it should be glued...

Thanks

Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As Sabina Santos says, bamboo is sensitive to variations of temperature.
If I don't want problems in the future it should be glued...
That's a shame. The fact of dimensional instability can be used as an argument AGAINST gluing, since allowing for some freedom of expansion and contraction in the design of the joinery will diminish the likelihood of cracking or shearing over time. Plus, the way that your pipe could be disassembled made cleaning and polishing really easy.
Nice job of carving BTW.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since bamboo shanks are usually glued, that was my idea, until I read sable's post. I had wondered about the unique design here, and the need to get into the briar for thorough cleaning, and sable' supports that view. If you have already glued it, I guess go with that until you have further process, or lack thereof. You don't want to have to undo a glue job unless it undoes itself or presents some other problem.

eduardovieira

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2016
Oporto, Portugal
Thanks for the comments. bdw
With the heat of the smoke this probably was going to be loose. The inserted section on the stummel is to short about half centimeter, not like a tenon 1.5cm, I agree 100% with Sabina.
If over the years if necessary to replace the air duct, that is very easy, Just drill the old one and insert a new one, you don't need to remove the bamboo.

But I appreciated your point of view, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.