PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The tin was bulging about as much as it could have been. Tin note was bready with a malt note reminiscent of a strong ale. No real sweetness to speak of.

Moisture level was such that it could’ve been smoked out of the tin or dried a few minutes. The shoestrings of leaf were darkened with age and in excellent shape.

Burn characteristics were excellent and required few relights.

Flavor is very smooth with notes of pastry, bread and an occasional light spice in the background. Green cardamom, fleeting traces of a suggestion of vanilla way in the back. No real sweetness to speak of, primarily just fine Virginias.

Mouthfeel is light and rounded. A very slow cadence is rewarded. This is one to be smoked attentively.

A treat for a Virginia aficionado but one likely to be seen as bland if you’re used to more robust blends.

10 years didn’t turn this into a profound experience but it is excellent and the slight roughness I find in many C&D Virginias when younger is nowhere to be found.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for this review. I have 2 lbs in 8oz tubs from last year sitting in my cellar right now to prepare for the eventual FDA deeming date and I'm delighted that the harshness of that young C&D VA disappears with age. I have a 2009 tin as well and I may need to give that a try after hearing this!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The only tin I ever had was also 10 years old, I kind of wish I had also tried it fresh because I feel like I did not particularly appreciate the aging. It was a nice smoke, to be sure...but yeah, subdued is right. I kind of remember thinking that a ten year old tin should be more 'wow' than 'nice', this was 'nice'.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
This is kind of the problem with aging. A lot people (including myself) used to think it's going to transform average tobacco into something amazing. That it's going to transform hamburger into kobe beef steak. And then you finally start trying a bunch of 10 year old tobacco and realize, oh... it didn't become a great steak. It's a bit smoother and more tender maybe but still just hamburger.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
This is kind of the problem with aging. A lot people (including myself) used to think it's going to transform average tobacco into something amazing. That it's going to transform hamburger into kobe beef steak. And then you finally start trying a bunch of 10 year old tobacco and realize, oh... it didn't become a great steak. It's a bit smoother and more tender maybe but still just hamburger.
Spot on

Reactions: hauntedmyst

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm always wowed by the artful prose of you guy's tobacco reviews. I'm so new at this I barely know the difference between a VA and a burley. All I could say right now if forced to do a review is I like it or I don't like it.
simple reviews are just as important and useful as fancy reviews. The point is sharing what experience you've had and what key points happened during that experience. The broad spectrum of experience can be aggregated in a way. Honestly I don't read long reviews with lots of detail, generally I look for a little bit about the characteristics described plainly and what was enjoyed or not about the blend. Second thing writing reviews is great for beginners something about preparing for a review seems to increase ones sensitivities.

Reactions: renfield

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect this blend will unfold a bit with you as you go along and learn the nuances. It sounds decidedly pleasant. Some long aged blends will suddenly fade once opened, but I think that is more likely with Latakia. The sixth or eighth bowl of this may be a revelation as you learn how it works. Let us know!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I suspect this blend will unfold a bit with you as you go along and learn the nuances. It sounds decidedly pleasant. Some long aged blends will suddenly fade once opened, but I think that is more likely with Latakia. The sixth or eighth bowl of this may be a revelation as you learn how it works. Let us know!
Still trying it in different pipes and at various dryness levels. I like it better in briars than meers. As is usually the case for me and straight Virginias, taller chambers present more flavor. Then breadiness is more evident for one thing.

One thing to note is that this blend is so subtle that starting with a clean pipe will really help tease out the flavors.

I have a fresh tin and some 5 year old tins in the cellar. It’s tempting to do a vertical sampling.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
simple reviews are just as important and useful as fancy reviews. The point is sharing what experience you've had and what key points happened during that experience. The broad spectrum of experience can be aggregated in a way. Honestly I don't read long reviews with lots of detail, generally I look for a little bit about the characteristics described plainly and what was enjoyed or not about the blend. Second thing writing reviews is great for beginners something about preparing for a review seems to increase ones sensitivities.
I get what you're saying. I'm merely expressing my appreciation for artistic writing and bemoaning my lack thereof.

Reactions: anotherbob

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Aged prime rib is still prime rib.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Back in 2009, I bought three pounds of Union Square. One in 2 ounce tins and two in the 8 ounces can. I can tell you that, these last ten plus years have really made a difference. At this age, I find Union Square to be one of the great Virginia Flakes. I wasn't nearly as big a fan of Virginias when they were new. Now that I have so nuch in my cellar that is 10-20 years of age, I could smoke them exclusively.

Mike S.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I wish I could pick up some Union Square. Unfortunately my tobacco purchasing days are over. Australia has made online international purchases illegal and it is not available locally (and would be very expensive). Just all happened just as I had decided to add some Union Square to my collection.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Back in 2009, I bought three pounds of Union Square. One in 2 ounce tins and two in the 8 ounces can. I can tell you that, these last ten plus years have really made a difference. At this age, I find Union Square to be one of the great Virginia Flakes. I wasn't nearly as big a fan of Virginias when they were new. Now that I have so nuch in my cellar that is 10-20 years of age, I could smoke them exclusively.

Mike S.
Great input! If it’s not too much trouble could you post a more detailed review in this thread? I think another person’s detailed take on this blend with age on it would be helpful to folks deciding on what to cellar and how deep.

TobaccoReviews is a good resource but usually is for blends on the young end of things.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I wish I could pick up some Union Square. Unfortunately my tobacco purchasing days are over. Australia has made online international purchases illegal and it is not available locally (and would be very expensive). Just all happened just as I had decided to add some Union Square to my collection.
Hope you have a decent stash man ?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Hope you have a decent stash man ?
I'm well stocked up with various blends and with my rate of smoking have probably a lifetime supply. Just wish a had a few more straight Virginias in the stash, hence the interest in Union Square.

I get a bit envious of you guys debating whether to buy the new release or small batch blend. The decision is easy for me. It's just not an option. The TAD 'cured' by being put in a straight jacket. :ROFLMAO:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Here's a pic of Union Square from 2014 (left) and 2019 (right). I find the change in taste over five years to be at least as dramatic as the change in color. To my primitive palate, the 2014 has not only lost all the rough edges and sugary grassiness, but has gained a considerable amount of really deep, sweet fruitiness and breadiness. It also has a different range of what I perceive as spice notes. It's the same tobacco, sure, but it tastes and smokes very differently.

union square.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.