PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I never try to pick out individual components but smoke blends for their overall taste.

I certainly do the same, but I’m a very slow smoker and sipper, I like to taste as well, and experience the various flavors pipe tabac has to offer.

I’m certainly no expert, but when the flavors are there as should be expected, I pretty much taste the broad spectrum, but certainly not like Jim... LOL

Most of the time, if I spend time hunting and sipping, I can taste all the flavors.

These are all the latest blends I’ve recently smoked, assuming that Doblone d’Oro would be somewhere in the same ballpark for quality of and distinction of flavors.

I taste all the various flavors very nicely in all these blends.

Solani 633
WCC Rouxgaroux
KBV Verge Engine Overdrive
Cornell & Diehl Carolina Red Flake
SG St James Flake

I’m sad, from all the great reviews I was looking forward to this.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
How long has the tin been open?

Hey!

I just received a tin today from Mars. I opened it, and straight away put it in a Ball jar, took some and rubbed it out, and packed it straight away into my Bay Denmark I pictured above.

All I get is a light cigarette taste and if I take a bigger than usual puff, a slight cigar taste, that is all...

P.S. So the Mars tin was open only 5 minutes, then straight to the jar.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hey!

I just received a tin today from Mars. I opened it, and straight away put it in a Ball jar, took some and rubbed it out, and packed it straight away into my Bay Denmark I pictured above.

All I get is a light cigarette taste and if I take a bigger than usual puff, a slight cigar taste, that is all...

P.S. So the Mars tin was open only 5 minutes, then straight to the jar.

Some blends seem to need a week or two of airing out, they're very bland when the tin is freshly opened. Give the tin a week or three, then circle back.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In the meantime for Science, LOL I’m going to put one tin up for a trade, hopefully someone would like a tin, because I’d love to hear some feedback on it.

I’m just wondering now if this is the same quality it’s been in the past, or maybe it’s considered better, the only way for me to tell, and everyone else, is to get this in the hands of someone experienced with this blend to know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In the meantime for Science, LOL I’m going to put one tin up for a trade, hopefully someone would like a tin, because I’d love to hear some feedback on it.

I’m just wondering now if this is the same quality it’s been in the past, or maybe it’s considered better, the only way for me to tell, and everyone else, is to get this in the hands of someone experienced with this blend to know.
My freshly opened tins sound as dry as yours but are anything but bland. Have you tried packing tighter to compensate the dryness?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My freshly opened tins sound as dry as yours but are anything but bland. Have you tried packing tighter to compensate the dryness?

As I mentioned, I smoked in a MM Cob, that was a light pack, then smoked in the Bay Denmark, a tighter pack, no changes.

No worries, I placed a WTT post in Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search, hopefully I’ll get someone to trade, to test this out.

P.S. Yes, that’s the description; Bland... :cry:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I certainly do the same, but I’m a very slow smoker and sipper, I like to taste as well, and experience the various flavors pipe tabac has to offer.

I’m certainly no expert, but when the flavors are there as should be expected, I pretty much taste the broad spectrum, but certainly not like Jim... LOL

Most of the time, if I spend time hunting and sipping, I can taste all the flavors.

These are all the latest blends I’ve recently smoked, assuming that Doblone d’Oro would be somewhere in the same ballpark for quality of and distinction of flavors.

I taste all the various flavors very nicely in all these blends.

Solani 633
WCC Rouxgaroux
KBV Verge Engine Overdrive
Cornell & Diehl Carolina Red Flake
SG St James Flake

I’m sad, from all the great reviews I was looking forward to this.
That is kind of my take on Dd'O these days. Just not as much flavor as I remembered from my initial smokes... It is certainly not a bad or poor quality blend IMO, it just doesn't shake my nerves or rattle my brain.

I am a confirmed rubber-outer, and I do rub Dd'O out. I actually have been folding and stuffing the Latakia Rolls though because the Latakia seems to crumble and end up falling to the bottom of the pile when rubbed. So I fold and stuff to maintain blend integrity.

Reactions: PipeIT
Status
Not open for further replies.