PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Ahi Ka thanks for bringing this up, I have the Savinelli on my Tabac List, but wasn’t giving it much thought till now, glad I saw this post to remind me about it, because it’s pretty much out of stock everywhere.

I just scored the last tin at Boswell’s as I type this. :)

P.S. I’ve not smoked either...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers has followers??? rotf rotfrotf
Considering you don't have any, how is that a surprise?? All of mine but a stubborn handful got the point and the stubborn 45 subscribers I've got on YouTube didn't read my about page not to mention I don't directly condemn smokers for what they smoke, how they smoke, or how they choose to clean their pipes.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think I read once here that someone smokes it straight from the tin with no dry time. Did you give it a whirl anyways?

Well it certainly wouldn’t need any dry time, as it was fairly crispy already.

No I didn’t smoke it, waiting on the tin from Mars.

By the way, my grandfather on my mother’s side, was a tobacco farmer in Tennessee, in the 60s-70s, he grew tobacco for Philip Morris.

I guess you could say, and I never really thought about it, I have some real tobacco blood/heritage in me... LOL ?

The tobacco sheds where the tobacco hung and dried out, the sheds smelled just like this Doblone d’Oro.

Talk about a scent back in time... :)

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I received the tin of Doblone d’Oro I ordered from Mars, and it’s the same, quite dry.

If I grab a large amount and squeeze I notice some moisture, but if I play around with it, I certainly feel a lot of crispy/dry texture too.

Vincent Manil's tabac is the only blend I’ve had drier than this, but this is also quite dry too.

Is it normal for Doblone d’Oro to have quite a lot of dryness to it?

Also is this a light smoking blend? From all the reading about the blend, it sounded like it would be more robust in flavor. I’m not getting much in distinction between the blends in this, everything is very light and subtle.

Hmm ?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yep.

That's how I like all tobacco.
Ok...

How would this be rated in Robustness of flavor, light, medium, strong(er)?

From all the reading and reviews, I thought this would give more flavor, and a distinction you could taste between the Burley, Kentucky, Perique and Virginia, in some way or another, leads, complimentary, etc...

Between the Burley, Kentucky, and Perique, I’m not tasting any of them, this tastes like a Straight Virginia, like smoking a light cigarette. This Virginia also has no typical pipe like Virginia tastes, nothing

I’ve smoked a little in a MM Dagner, and now in my Bay Denmark Billiard, I’ve tried tasting several times for the Burley, Kentucky and Perique, and nothing, only a light Virginia cigarette taste.

With having purchased two tins at two different places, all I can conclude is that something has happened to the quality in recent production.

Hmm ?

P.S. Here’s the Bay Denmark Billiard I’m trying it in at the moment.

CDAF8A35-E7DB-47EC-885D-903742E0BB35.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ok...

How would this be rated in Robustness of flavor, light, medium, strong(er)?

From all the reading and reviews, I thought this would give more flavor, and a distinction you could taste between the Burley, Kentucky, Perique and Virginia, in some way or another, leads, complimentary, etc...

Between the Burley, Kentucky, and Perique, I’m not tasting any of them, this tastes like a Straight Virginia, like smoking a light cigarette. This Virginia also has no typical pipe like Virginia tastes, nothing

I’ve smoked a little in a MM Dagner, and now in my Bay Denmark Billiard, I’ve tried tasting several times for the Burley, Kentucky and Perique, and nothing, only a light Virginia cigarette taste.

With having purchased two tins at two different places, all I can conclude is that something has happened to the quality in recent production.

Hmm ?

P.S. Here’s the Bay Denmark Billiard I’m trying it in at the moment.

View attachment 77685
How long has the tin been open?

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.