Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm of the opinion global warming is a myth perpetrated by big companies to guilt you into buying new products that they state will lessen the effects of it. Considering it's june 1st and still early spring weather, like not even shorts weather where I am and usually by this time the ac is going or you're hot as hell, I still find it cold especially in the mornings. Apparantly this is a wobble on the earth's axis that has caused weather conditions to change, and it happens every 80 years or so. I follow the weather channel and all of these weather patterns are the same as they were about 80 year ago.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Back in the 30's they had some of the worst tornados, hurricanes, and blizzards in history. They did not have the population, or the amount of cars that we have now. Global warming is big business, just ask how rich Mr. Gore is.
Everything runs in cycles, which means in 20 more years I'll be skinny again.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I will come right and say that I am in the camp that believes climate change is a genuine phenom. I don't think it's "global warming" necessarily and I also don't believe it's caused by carbon dioxide, especially when the poles are melting on other planets.
There's plenty going on in our solar system that signals major changes ahead.

Dec 24, 2012
I don't think there is any real doubt that global warming is happening - there seems to be broad consensus amongst the experts on that. Why it is happening, and whether humans are to blame, is a different issue, and on this point there is less consensus. My visceral (and uneducated) instinct is that we are, at least in part, to blame for it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
New Discovery: NASA Study Proves Carbon Dioxide Cools Atmosphere
http://principia-scientific.org/supportnews/latest-news/163-new-discovery-nasa-study-proves-carbon-dioxide-cools-atmosphere.html

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Grandfather had an explanation for it, now this was said in Cajun French . He said the reason the world is going south is that we used to shit outside and cook inside, but now we shit inside and cook outside , that's the problem. :rofl:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
When I was a youngster they predicted an ice age and polar conditions in the southern states. Then as I got older the gulf of mexico would consume Houston, and Florida along with Lousiana. South Arkansas would be the coast line due to warming and seas rising. They also said the hole in the ozone would allow in so much radiation that humans would have to move under ground to survive. They said one in four people would have aids and desertification would consume the most of the American west. They said deforestation would kill off most of the wild life and pollution would ruin most of the water and we would be in dire need of drinkable water.

Now days when they spout the newest, the latest amd greatest bs I shake my head and pay them no mind.

To chicken little the sky will always be falling.

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
oh....and I'm with locopony. I remember reading and looking at magazines back in 70's that said same thing. Now, a few decades later, the same people are saying the same thing.....only different. Thinkin I need a beer and another bowl.....sell crazy somewhere else Al Gore...

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I'm with No. 6 and Peck on this one. The real problem is the loss of glaciers and polar ice. I can make a guess as to the cause, but that's what all it is, a guess. It seems to me that people are at least partly responsible, I also think there are reasons we do not understand.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I think it is a shame that science and politics is inseparable. We won't know the truth as a result. Both are now perverted by greed. Anther loss for mankind.... the love of money is the root of all evil.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Rhogg, hit it on the head. Ding ding ding give that man a rubber fruit cake with beans on it. As gooberment became the primary contributer to science, science became more political. Sad if you really think about it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There are glacial and interglacial periods where the temperature of the earth shifts resulting in the increase or decrease of our ice caps and glaciers. These smaller shifts historically have occurred approximately every 100k years where as the full blown shifts occur in millions of years. Now the most recent glacial period was only 10k year's ago so we are now on the downward swing toward an interglacial period. If you look at this image below you will see what I am referring to. You'll also notice that we have quite a long time before we start to head back to our next glacial period.
Ice_Age_Temperature.png

Status
Not open for further replies.