PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've been enjoying GL Pease Sextant, haven't had anything quite like it. I'm looking for suggestions for other blends to try along these lines. I've got a tin of Gas Light that I may open up and try this evening.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Ok, I feel sextant is one of the best examples of this type of tobacco blend. There are blends that combine the Latakia rum thing, Sam gawith navy flake is a very good example.
However, the addition of just the perfect amount of Kentucky that pease puts in sextant is for me, quite skillful and noteworthy. He really outdid himself with this blend, if you ask me, which you did.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-frigate-and-sextant-separated-at-birth

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nah, the only Sutliff offering I have tried was Queen Anne's Revenge. Nice aro when I have a sweet tooth. Let me know what you think about Black Frigate.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Just tried a bowl of Black Frigate after a little drying time. Very good, different, but good. Some flavours are more subtle and others a bit bolder to me, just what I was looking for. I've got more on order already, thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for the Navy Flake and Old San Francisco to arrive, looking forward to trying these.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thought you would like it! Have thirty tins in the cellar if that tells you how much I like it! :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My wife doesn't care for anything latakia. Hence, my Lampe Berger collection. :mrgreen:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Just received and tried SG's Navy Flake and I like it. Different than Sextant and Black Frigate but a good strong smoke. Received some Sutliff Old San Francisco the other day, another strong, flavourful English blend. Both different than what I was looking for but great additions to my rotation and more on order.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I just finished off my first tin of sextant yesterday. Actually I had 3 bowls. The tin lasted me about a month and I gotta say from the description I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't bring myself to really enjoy it... That is until those last two bowls last night. They were magical. There was something I couldn't quite put my finger on but man was it soooo good! I liked the rum and Latakia (though the rum could've been more pronounced). I think maybe it was the dark fired that I couldn't tame. I've only had it in JKP and while it's super good, it's just hard to maintain a good flavor without it being too harsh. Idk if it was the month of breathing that the tin of sextant got or if it just took me that long to rope it in, but I'm really glad I've got two more tins cellared and will definitely be ordering more.

May 4, 2015
Black Frigate is pretty interesting stuff. I had a bowl of it last night. It's pretty tasty, but it is SALTY. I don't know if you've ever swam in the ocean, but your mouth feels and tastes like it does after you get out. And it lasts a looooong time.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Sexton is probably my favourite, certainly not an all day smoke, but I thoroughly enjoy it when I get into it, Black Frigate is another.I haven't found anything else quite like it.

May 4, 2015
Well, I defer to you! You've smoked a lot of it. If you say it isn't salty, it's probaby me, somehow. If I get through another bowl or two and have the same problems, I'll just send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.