PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
TR lists 4 oriental blends for GLP: Cairo, Embarcadero, Regents Flake and Temple Bar. Tried Cairo many years ago and don’t have a strong recollection. Just cracked a 13y/o tin of Embarcadero and smoked my first bowl yesterday. I really enjoy it but it was a bit mild for me. I’m wondering how Cairo, Regents Flake and temple bar compare to Embarcadero. I like the flavor profile but wouldn’t object to more strength. Any thoughts are welcome plus not sure if I missed any other blends in this category.

One thing I just learned is that Temple Bar uses the same components as Regents Flake just optimized for a plug. Interesting.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I really love Regent’s flake. It’s got a smidge of Perique in it. I haven’t smoke Cairo, so I can’t comment on how it compares, but to my tastes I find Regent’s to be a bit fuller than Embarcadero (which I’m also fond of). I think there’s a little more complexity in Regents, and I think it might be on the sweeter side, brighter than Embarcadero but still with the Oriental component coming through although maybe not quite as intensely as Embarcadero. If it came down to it, I might even like Regent’s more. The Perique element is hardly noticeable to me, but it’s there and that might be why it has an edge for me.

I’d say get some Regent’s and go at it and see. It doesn’t seem to get a lot of notice at all, which is surprising to me because I think it’s damn good and one I have a small stock of.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've a tin of Embarcadero and a tin of Regents flake aging. I also bought 3 tins of the 20th Anv. Cairo. Temple bar is Regents Flake in plug form so there might be some small differences, but overall the same components. As ChasingEmbers said, he enjoys C&D blends. I've tried Oriental Silk and it just fell flat for me. I find that most of my orientals are coming from Balkan blends, such as C&D Sunset Harbor Flake and GLP Quiet Nights. I haven't really had specifically a heavy Oriental based blend. I do however have 10 tins of Sunbear aging so hopefully I'll get around to it. In the meantime, enjoy your journey.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know but I love Cairo. It took a few bowls to really pick up on the nuances but it has a lot of subtle notes that once they hit you they're easy to find again. It really does have a undertone that reminds me of when you first approach a spice market. That mélange of many different aromatic herbs. It's a really great blend it blows my socks off every time. Although the first few bowls didn't make much of an impression kind of reminded me of a camel cigarette specifically one of their special releases from ten or so years ago.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
It's most likely an oversimplification but I feel like Regents Flake is Cairo in flake form, and Temple Bar is Embarcadero in flake form.

I enjoy Embarcadero and Cairo, but Regents Flake is top class for me. I think C&D have some nice oriental leaf to work with.

I've had the most difficulty in tasting and distinguishing Orientals in a blend without latakia. A few years ago Jitterbugdude had sent me a sample of all of the Orientals that he grows, and I could definitely taste those. Some were almost perfumey, some just seemed like a different type of burley, but I mean, I can taste that there is something different in a blend with Orientals, but I just can't put my finger on them when they've been blended down with Virginias and whatever burley C&D hides in there.
As far as condimentals go, perique and latakia seem the most distinctive. Orientals... eh, not so much.

I usually just smoke them thinking of them as Virginias. Regents and this new Windjammer are just different Virginias to my mind. And, with Windjammer, I'm not sure I understand adding a bit of a hard to taste condimentals and then dousing it in alcohol, because that becomes the predominant flavor to me.

I've found it a bit inconsistent. I've had some sublime bowls, but more "meh" bowls. When it's good, it's real good, though.
Funny you say this. I've thought for a long time that I find this to be true with most things C&D blends. One tin will set me on my ass, and then next might not even affect me at all. I think they blend more to tastes than nic levels.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I love both Cairo and Embarcadero. Haven't yet tried Temple Bar or Regent's, but those are on the list. I didn't find Cairo and Embarcadero to be too similar. It's been a while since I've smoked both in quick succession, so I can't identify exactly what makes them different, but my recollection is that Cairo is a little simpler and lighter, while Embarcadero is a little richer and more complex. They are both worth trying.

From C and D, Oriental Silk is good stuff as well, and I also like Sunday Picnic, which is a little like Embarcadero. Haven't tried Orion's Arrow yet. I currently have a couple of tins of Bijou on the way and I'm really looking forward to trying it. XX Flake was my favorite special release of 2020 because of the Va/Or/18 yr Perique combination, but that's likely a one-off so it'll be nearly impossible to find.

There are some smaller blending houses out there that are also doing great things with VaOr blends, including Watch City (simply voriental) and KB Ventures (Basmatica, the Dread Planet, Samsun and Delilah, etc.), but these are generally special releases and they go fast, so if you want something readily available that's not the way to go.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I prefer Embarcadero, but I do believe Temple Bar is stronger, at least in nicotine. It's not a barn-burner or anything, but it had more N than I expected. I've found it a bit inconsistent. I've had some sublime bowls, but more "meh" bowls. When it's good, it's real good, though.

This is my experience as well. I would rank them in ascending order of strength: Cairo, Embarcadero, Regent's Flake/Temple Bar (not much difference between the last two).

Low Country Waccamaw and C&D Sunday Picnic, while not powerhouses by any means, are stronger than Embacadero, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.