PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Greg, while you may not be the richest guy in the pipe business, being driven around by your man servant in your Bentley Arnage makes me think you are not hurting too badly. lol
An Arnage?? How 2009.....

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Don't feel too bad, that great shop I'm sure you're talking about hasn't even ordered any! I just got mine in today from smokingpipes.com, but it got sent to my parents' place so I need to wait till next time out in the burbs to get my hands on it :(
My name is Eric and your name is Anthony and we have shared pipes together at the Chicago show before. I was roommates with Adam for two years. He and I have chatted a bit lately for obvious reasons and you came up a little bit. I sent him a care package last week with a tin of 2003 Kensington, one of my holy grail blends, and it landed in Crystal Lake today. Be sure to pinch some of that from him.
Nice to see a familiar face here. I've been a smokersforum guy forever but this place seemed to get a bit more traffic so I've added it in.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Greg:
If you are reading here, congratulations on what looks to be another triumph (insofar as tobacco blending is susceptible to triumph, I suppose) with Gaslight. I got mine this week and have been enjoying it very much. My "30 second review," posted elsewhere in the forum was as follows:
Dark plug with traces of red Va.

Easily sliced and rubbed.

Needs 20-30 minutes to dry slightly for best lighting, then a cool, steady burn - no relight needed in a fairly large (group 5 equivalent) full bent Pete.

Flavor is a Latakia-forward English, with definite Oriental spice and an easily discerned touch of Va sweetness from mid-bowl on.

Very substantial nic-kick for an English

4/5.
Here's my question: Does my experience of a fairly stout dose of nicotine comport with your intent? With other reports from those tasting it?
I know this is all very subjective. Given that I almost always smoke full English blends, I don't tend to get tons of nicotine regularly, and so I might just be sensitive to it. But the subject interests me and I wonder -- was this strictly subjective, or is it really in there?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A fine necro thread, heralding the introduction of Gaslight, a blend I am interested in greatly. I love the taste, but it spins me. I think it may be the red VA's.
Anyone else find it brings on something different? Other theories besides nicotine?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It does not have any adverse effects on me. I love the stuff and have many tins in the cellar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I went on a Gaslight binge when it came out, and haven't touched it since. I love the stuff and have a few tins cellared. A revisit is due.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I just tried it recently and while I do love lat blends this one went down a little rough. It was a freshly opened tin and I always get a raw or green taste from a new tin and the first bowl.
And yes, it certainly did bring something different and I haven't nailed it down yet.
Thanks for the reminder as it's been open about a week now. Going to try it again later today.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like it, don't love it. Yet at least. It reminds me a bit of Dreams Of Kadath. I haven't found the nicotine hit to be overwhelming but it is definitely above average. Even though this is supposed to be a latakia forward blend, I find the Oriental leaf to be very noticeable.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I like it, don't love it. Yet at least. It reminds me a bit of Dreams Of Kadath. I haven't found the nicotine hit to be overwhelming but it is definitely above average. Even though this is supposed to be a latakia forward blend, I find the Oriental leaf to be very noticeable.
Just tried it again and I'm with hoosierpipedude.
Smoked in a cob and then later in a large bowl Savinelli 320 KS. Much better now that the tin has been open for a few days. I love lat blends so I have a tendency to over-puff them, however, the red virginia forced me to slow down and it was much better. Orientals right there, neck and neck with the latakia. Don't think it's cased but I do get a little sweet at the start. Probably the virginia. Perfect nicotine.
I'm definitely seeing this in my regular rotation. Thanks jpm for bringing this up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most welcome. I hope more come forward who may have had it hit them too hard. Again, don't think it's the nic., but Red Virginias or another ingredient.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Gaslight was the 2nd blend i tried after starting pipes i didnt notice any reactions to it in particular i have weird spells where my throat feels like it is swollen but i get that no matter what blend im smoking

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I got a sample of this with an order from SPC. It is a great blend. I think i have a tin or two somewhere. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.