PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Hey everyone,
I literally just bought my first pipe and I am starting out brand new with pipes and pipe tobacco. I have smoked cigars for years and would say that I have a fairly well-defined palate. I know with cigars that you can have a bad smoke due to any number of reasons so I would always give a new cigar I was trying a fair assessment by smoking 5 to 10 before saying whether or not I liked a particular blend. My question is how much tobacco should I try of a particular blend to be fair? Also should I allow a rest period before trying it for the best experience? Shipping is brutal on cigars and I usually let them acclimate in my humidors for several weeks before smoking.
Thanks for the feedback in advance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To answer succinctly, I think you should give most tobacco four or five bowls over several weeks,

to give the tobacco a chance to dry a bit, and to get a range on what pipe to use and how to pack

that particular blend. This is off-the-cuff, to stay brief. If you like a blend, you will probably smoke

it faster than that. If you really don't like a blend at all, you may want to discard it or give it away.

Non-flavored tobacco may improve, theoretically, but if the problem is flavoring, it is unlikely to

improve much. Welcome to Forums.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If you're a cigar guy, I'd recommend non-aromatics, Virginia based blends or even ones that are Virginia + perique (VaPer as they are referred to). You'll probably like those quite a bit crossing over from the stogies as they have a natural tobacco taste to them plus a bit of a peppery bite.
Welcome to our side of the party.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, buffalopat. mso489's response was short and spot on. Don't be surprised if you experiment with many blends over your first year; or the ensuing 40 years for that matter. It will take some time to perfect your technique. I also am a cigar smoker but pipe blends are more varied and almost endless in possibilities. Take your time, have fun and visit here often. Also, please report on your journey in this hobby. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
^ I wish someone would have told me this when I first started out. I bought too much variety, would smoke one bowl of a blend and then move on to the next. I now try to smoke about half a tin before making a decision. If I like it, I keep smoking it. If I don't, I jar it up to try again at a later date.
Some will recommend smoking ONLY one blend at a time when first trying it out. Smoke nothing but that blend for a week. It can help you pick up on subtleties and nuances.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Well, let me start off by saying that I too came from the cigar smoking side, but I never had the patience nor the money to spend on giving my palate time to adjust to nuances with multiples of the same cigars. I knew after smoking one cigar, if I wanted to smoke another of that offering.
I've been smoking pipe tobacco just under a year now, and I'm going nuts with all the options out there. I've narrowed A LOT down to what I know I prefer. I've smoked things I've disliked, but I also have revisited that blend to give it a second shot, at times I'm glad I did. Whereas, with a cigar I wouldn't put down an additional 6 to 8 bucks for another stick. A $8-$10 dollar tin of pipe tobacco, will give you about 13 - 18 bowls of hour long smokes.(can I get a "bang for your buck" from the congregation please??) :clap: Pipe tobacco(right now) is very inexpensive in comparison to cigars.
I would give a blend at least a tin(1 & 1/2 to 2 oz) or the same amount in bulk to get an idea of what you'd like to buy more of. To me the countdown clock is ticking for the legislation going into effect, prices going up, and potential blends going away. I'm doing elimination by hypothesis of lots of pipe tobacco offerings I don't even plan on trying because I have a pretty good idea that they wont be for me based on reviews, or their makeup due to my history of smoking similar blends.
My advice if you've never smoked a pipe before, is get a couple of corn cob pipes. They're what I consider the inexpensive "workhorse" of pipe smoking. They smoke great, and don't require a lot of finesse. There are a lot of small details that add up to the total smoking experience with pipes, be it the prep of tobacco, or material the pipe is made up of. Cob pipes really dumb it down to basics, so you can enjoy the tobacco first, and not have to fuss with resting, or the breaking in of briar. Start working your way through blends and stocking up. Pipes will be around for a while. Great tobacco may not be, within a year or so time. Time to "get your TAD on", the PAD(my opinion) is better suited for a later date.
And don't forget to smoke slowly...the tobacco flavor gets lost if it's over heated.
A big change is the the amount of flavor you'll get from pipe tobacco, by trying to keep the temp down as best you can. Lots of times with cigars, it's billowing smoke, it's really kind of the opposite with pipes. It's all about temperature control. That's why you'll see phrases like "cool smoking" in some pipe tobacco blend descriptions.
Anyway, welcome to the forums, and to pipe tobacco. It really is better over here. ;-)
One more thing.(and you'll see what I'm talking about as you post more often) As with anywhere, you'll find just as many colorful personalities here as you do "in real life". Don't be afraid to ask questions, and speak your mind, but understand sometimes answers are given with a healthy sidedish of zing. It's because we're a bunch of dudes, and that's what we do. Try not to take much of that exchange to heart if some may come your way. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.