PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I am becoming acquainted with Erinmore Flake, and quite like it. However - tonight everything I have smoked thereafter has that Erinmore taste! My favorite Escudo? bit of Erinmore taste. Angler's Dream, good neutral burley? Erinmore taste. Different pipes, mind you? Omg. Anyone experience this or is it just me? Am I destined to taste only Erinmore topping for life? :O

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I experienced "mouth ghosting before" with the dreaded Hobbit's Weed. Everything tasted like Hobbit's Weed for days. Brushing teeth, different pipes, nothing could exorcize that demon for a while.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I smoked some Vermont meat candy 17 hours ago and I have brushed my teeth, eaten a meal, as well as some beef jerky and when I breath heavily I can still taste it.

Jul 12, 2011
I had that happen to me with Erinmore as well, and while I liked

the change of pace with this flake, I didn't like the heavy/mouth coating

if you will...so Erinmore really isn't for me

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Never had that happen with Erinmore or any other tobacco. And I've smoked quite a few tins of EF since I got over my revulsion from the two times I heaved all over the pavement because of Erinmore back in 1974.

Underneath the reek of teenage harlot, it's actually a very pleasant flake. And sipped slowly, the fruit-loop dressing just fades off, contributing little more than a faint increase in the sweetness.

Good stuff.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I use to chew Copenhagen Straight and smoke my pipes. Not at the same exact time but, you catch my drift. Well I quit the chew and now all the pipe tobacco that I smoked had a change of flavor on me. Some for the worst some for the better. So yea I had some ghosting.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
All tobacco can have that effect to one degree or another.
You just won't notice it unless you smoke infrequently.
If you always have a pipe in hand, you will never tell the difference...
Latakia and OTC blends are the worst offenders in my books.
Depending on the blend, an unpleasant ashy aftertaste can linger with latakia and the PG/flavourings from OTCs can stick around for much longer than I'd like in a really sickly mouth-coating way...
I find the straight Virginias are the cleanest tasting and that is one of the reasons why they are my favourites.
Sothron, this "mouth ghosting" is the reason why I often spend periods of time smoking one blend exclusively. Then there is no crossover of flavours and you get a better expression of the one blend and can appreciate it without interference from other tobaccos...

l8rt8r

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I had a big bowl of Erinmore Flake last nite for the first time. Smoked for about an hour or better. By the end of the bowl I was nauseous and light headed. I was enjoying it until this happened and this morning I had to peel my tongue off of the roof of my mouth and been dry all day. Might have to go with baby bowls of this brand.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think if you swish for a couple of minutes with some Biotene mouth wash after smoking it will get rid of any residual flavors.
I found the Erinmore flake to taste like Juicy Fruit( I love Juicy Fruit) and it was just too much for me after a while. I like sweet but it was cloyingly so to my tastes. I find Peterson University Flake to be much more subdued topping wise compared to the Erinmore. I probably should age some Erinmore to see if the sweetness subsides after a while, it really is a quality flake that I enjoyed but it just got to be too much sweetness for me. I did smoke it in a group 3 Dublin thinking a larger pipe would be too much. It is interesting to note that a friend of mine smoked some from his tin and did not find it that sweet at all, I am wondering if maybe I got a batch that wasn't mixed as well as it could have been and mine had too much casing on it.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I haven't smoked Erinmore in many years, so I can't comment on the aftertaste of it. I smoke English blends and lately, quite a bit of Virginia and Vapers and some Burley flakes, so that's what my perspective is based on.
The blend that left me with the strongest aftertaste is Penzance. After smoking my first bowl of it last week, I still had the taste of it on my tongue the next morning.
I wonder if Erinmore is as good a match with a corncob as Burley. Anybody have an opinion on that?

Think I'll get some Erinmore Flake and see if it is.

l8rt8r

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I HAVE TO SAY I'M OUT ON HAVING AN AFTERTASTE LASTING FOR DAYS. TONGUE IS STILL DRIED OUT AND PUNKY. THINK I'LL DONATE THIS CAN TO A FRIEND TO EXPERIMENT WITH AND GO BACK TO MY PETERSON SPECIAL RESERVE AND BRIGHAM MIXTURES. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.