PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
There’s a lackluster VA tobacco I’ve been keeping in my truck with the sole intent of using it up to make room for something better. It’s not awful, it’s just a blend I find unremarkable, and I see no point in hanging on to it. Today, for lack of a reason not to, I packed it into a pipe I have always used with English blends. The ghosting was apparent through the entire smoke, but it wound up adding just a bit of depth and nuance to the otherwise boring VA, and the overall experience was WAY more interesting. The effects of ghosting are typically referred to as something to avoid, but I thought I’d share with y‘all a tactical use for it that I have stumbled across. Cheers, friends!

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
There’s a lackluster VA tobacco... I packed it into a pipe I have always used with English blends. The ghosting was apparent through the entire smoke, but it wound up adding just a bit of depth and nuance to the otherwise boring VA, and the overall experience was WAY more interesting.
You could try mixing the two tobaccos together to see if you like the new mixed blend. I suggest mixing only a bowlful at a time, but keep track of what ratio you use in case you like it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I do this every once in a while with my lakeland pipes, throw a VA in there with a little lakeland ghost can be quite enjoyable. Theres always the option of home blending with lackluster VAs as well. A little DFK and/or Perique can go a long way after a few weeks in a jar.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
There’s a lackluster VA tobacco I’ve been keeping in my truck with the sole intent of using it up to make room for something better. It’s not awful, it’s just a blend I find unremarkable, and I see no point in hanging on to it. Today, for lack of a reason not to, I packed it into a pipe I have always used with English blends. The ghosting was apparent through the entire smoke, but it wound up adding just a bit of depth and nuance to the otherwise boring VA, and the overall experience was WAY more interesting. The effects of ghosting are typically referred to as something to avoid, but I thought I’d share with y‘all a tactical use for it that I have stumbled across. Cheers, friends!
I think it's likely that many of us have stumbled across this very same "trick". Some of us like the "enhancement" that overlapping profiles can provide. Others may not notice. Some dislike.

I'm a little more inquisitive and don't mind the exploration and mixing of flavors at this time, it helps build my palate understanding.

That sort of experience is also pushing me to begin playing around with mixing up different blends, and getting some leaf to toss together on my own and see what happens.

Now I've read all the above I see I'm redundant. Oh well.
Add another mark in the "mix" column.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That sort of experience is also pushing me to begin playing around with mixing up different blends, and getting some leaf to toss together on my own and see what happens.
I have yet to find a non-aromatic blend I didn't enjoy by adding a small condimental pinch of DFK. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not, but it's always enjoyable and different in a fun way. I truly believe DFK is a magical condiment.

I truly believe DFK is a magical condiment.
Magic Fingers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have yet to find a non-aromatic blend I didn't enjoy by adding a small condimental pinch of DFK. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not, but it's always enjoyable and different in a fun way. I truly believe DFK is a magical condiment.
I've recently acquired 4 oz of DFK to play around with adding to "so-so" blends. Also some Latakia for similar. This trend will probably continue and expand as time progresses.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
I totally agree. I have a couple of pipes that I smoke Lakelands in and will enjoy a Va as well about once a week. I like the aroma/flavor that the ghost brings.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I can see that - OR maybe add a touch of an english to your lackluster VA and you might find your own custom blend that you like. I like to experiment :)