PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Good Day All!
I've been on a self-imposed hiatus from pipe restorations since last fall at least. The reasons are many, including unplanned family issues, my crazy job, building a guitar, and recording unprofitable music. This weekend, as MORE SNOW once again keeps me indoors, I decided to do...something.
I decided to experiment with some rustication for the first time. I've been researching different techniques online and as always, I'm trying to find a different way. I decided to experiment using a Dremel engraver. For good or ill, here are the results.
I chose to rusticate a pipe that came in an eBay lot. It's a small "Beppe" sitter from Italy. It's so nondescript I've had no desire to do anything with it once I cleaned it up. I haven't even smoked it yet.

I really wasn't sure if the engraver would work, but what the heck...It wasn't until I got to this point I thought something interesting might happen. Before I chat further about the engraver, let me just say it works very quickly.

Here's the rustication work more or less done. You can see that the engraver, obviously, isn't cutting deep into the pipe at all. It looks interesting, but so far I'm not a fan. What to do?

To heck with it, let's just dye the thing black...Fiebings to the rescue, I hope. It either looks burnt, or like a stale brownie. I can't decide.

So, after a few coats of Fiebings USMC Black plus polishing with white diamond and carnauba, my boring "Beppe" (not a Marx Brother) is now a less boring Beppe.

Verdict on the Dremel engraver as a rustication tool? Interesting effect, fast and easy to use, but I'll still give it a thumbs down for lack of depth in rustication. Now that the pipe is done though, I don't hate it. I'll chalk up the whole thing as a learning experience. Total work time- less than two hours...

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks Guys. It's a real unique finish to say the least. I don't think I'll do this technique too often, unless I find a suitable pipe that it may improve the looks. Basket pipes all the way for this I'd say.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Interesting outcome. I agree with fadingdaylight about the charred wood effect. I think it works quite well with that pipe. Enjoy and happy smoke rings.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ghost, as a first go/experiment I think this was a success. I agree with the comments above as to the pipe having a charred appearance. It certainly made the pipe more interesting to look at; and I bet the texture/feel is cool. I don't know why but it put me in mind of Olie Sylvester's Monstrosity Pipes... I can see a line of these Charnel House Pipes that are really just modded and re-burn-ished lower end estates. I like how you play with tools and ideas here pal.
-- Pat

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
The pipe looks great, definitely a keeper. Your next try will be even greater.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I'm a fan of that pipe, and your rustication process! I did a partial rustication on a basket pipe some months ago, and I used a Dremel too. I found it actually fun, and if you take it slow you can kind of make it up as you go. Nice job!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I left the bottom smooth as it's a sitter, and I see a few spots I might redo at a later date. I have to say though, the urge to try more rustications is building. 8O

Jan 8, 2013
I have a basket pipe I am working on refinishing at home right now, I stripped it down, but so far that is as far as I have gotten. I hope it turns out half as cool as yours did Ghost.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
that's pretty interesting... never had the guts to rusticate a pipe myself....

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The rim got stained as I decided to top it, but the bottom was left with the original colour. Since it's a sitter, I left the bottom smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.