PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you like the Lakeland ghost? If it tastes okay, go with it. Otherwise, keep doing the treatments to exorcise it. Eventually, it might go away of its own, even if you enjoy it; then you'll miss it and have to get some Lakeland aromatic to put it back. Something to consider.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Salt and alcohol. Fill the bowl with kosher salt, and saturate with a higher proof alcohol. I used to use 151 rum but now I prefer something less... alcoholic. A little bourbon does a good job for me, or a decent rum.
I thought that I had read that using salt could be problematic to briar and perhaps crack the wood, which is way I've heard people use cotton balls. But salt's easier to get in the shank, of course, so I'm curious if people have concerns about salt.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
I don't know my self if this works but it worked for him. i do watch his vids for tips on all pipe related restoring and so on. i find his advice spot on so far but this i haven't tried. 3 hours in an oven at 180 degrees and so on. heres the link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWlD_kywXg. he does the alco trement and goes from there. it worked for him and it was his first time trying it to.

Reactions: hairvise

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I don't know my self if this works but it worked for him. i do watch his vids for tips on all pipe related restoring and so on. i find his advice spot on so far but this i haven't tried. 3 hours in an oven at 180 degrees and so on. heres the link.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWlD_kywXg. he does the alco trement and goes from there. it worked for him and it was his first time trying it to.
If the coffee treatment isn't enough, I'm going to try to activated charcoal approach. I want to see if I can convert some of my father's old pipes from the English only blends that he smoked to pipes that can be used for Virginias and Vapers.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
If it is as clean as you say it is & cake is very thin, in the past I load them with what I like & smoke them until they smoke right.
Always worked for me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Vinegar. I soaked a cotton ball, stuffed it in the chamber and left it in overnight. It took a few treatments but it was the only thing that got rid of this weird, sour/floral ghost I had in one of my pipes. I learned this trick from a pipe restorer. This was the only thing that worked and I tried everything from the salt and alcohol treatment to the coffee grounds, I even tried just being patient thinking eventually it would go away, nope... vinegar finally did the trick.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Vinegar. I soaked a cotton ball, stuffed it in the chamber and left it in overnight. It took a few treatments but it was the only thing that got rid of this weird, sour/floral ghost I had in one of my pipes. I learned this trick from a pipe restorer. This was the only thing that worked and I tried everything from the salt and alcohol treatment to the coffee grounds, I even tried just being patient thinking eventually it would go away, nope... vinegar finally did the trick.
That’s super interesting! Anyone else have success with this? Vinegar is pretty strong, so I’ve would never have guessed!!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That’s super interesting! Anyone else have success with this? Vinegar is pretty strong, so I’ve would never have guessed!!
I never hear of this method in the forums, it’s weird as it’s the ONLY thing that worked for me. The restorer who shared this with me stated that it was pretty common practice in their business as vinegar is a great neutralizer. I’ve only had the ghost issue once so I’ve only had to deal with it that one time but if I ever have this problem in the future I’ll be going straight to the vinegar to exorcise the ghost.

Reactions: rushx9

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I had good luck using BigN'Burley to smoke the ghost out of a vintage pipe that reeked of perfume and potpourri. Note that BigN'Burley is pretty intense stuff but when all other efforts to de-ghost have failed this is what I would consider the nuclear option.

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.