PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In a couple months I will be 71 years old.That may not sound that old until you consider that most people don't reach 90.When I look back at 20 years ago it doesn't seem very long ago.My point here is that in those 20 years ago I've lost a good many folks who were dear to me.My parents,My wife's father,and most of the older generation who taught me the values that I live my life by.Several of the friends that I worked with.I miss them all.I wish that just once more I could tell them how much they ment to me,and how much I loved them.I know that in life's scheme of time I don't have all that many years left.I just hope that someday when I'm gone those who knew me will miss me..Now just so you know..I'm a very happy fella.I enjoy life very much.This wasn't ment to depress anyone.It's just that we never know when we will lose someone dear to us.My goal for the rest of my life is to let those around me know how much they mean to me.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Not depressing at all, it is the briefness of it all that should remind us to enjoy every detail, every person, every moment. Easier said than done sometimes, but always good to have that rattling around somewhere in the back of the skull cavity.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I hear ya. Time moves quickly. When you're younger, you feel like it will take forever to reach old age. Then next thing you know, you say, where did the time go?
I am still relatively young at age 50, but I've watched my two young daughters go from little 3 year olds watching The Wiggles to now 10 year olds having sleep overs with their friends and I think "where did the time go?" Soon they will be teens - moving too darn fast!

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
My goal for the rest of my life is to let those around me know how much they mean to me.

:)

(There needs to be a thumbs up smilie)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Well said Puffy, I too realize I am in the winter of my life, If we could impart anything to our younger brethren is never hesitate to give praise however small, be slow to critize, smoke a lot more, help those that you can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Puffy, yes, it is so important to connect with family and friends in a significant way. Men are generally

conditioned to suck it up and not emote much, as a sign of strength, competence, forbearance, etc.

But that skill set becomes quickly insufficient, or only partly sufficient, by the time a man is 30, or so.

Then as husbands, dads, friends, uncles, etc. etc., we really need a whole new set of skills to communicate

and bond and reinforce others. Guys who try to get by with the old movie hero stoicism will abandon

their loved ones, emotionally if not physically. Men aren't so good at that. A lot of superficial hugging

beween friends, etc., doesn't fill the bill. It's a slow learning process, and you make mistakes, but it's

worth it. Oh boy, I think I'll go smoke a pipe. (Puffy, when you reach 89, you'll look back at yourself

today like a mere pup!)

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Very wise words, indeed, Puffy -- in my teaching as a Buddhist priest, I stress the importance of being aware of the reality of impermanence - it makes us more tolerant, caring, and compassionate people.
I, too am well into the "winter" of my life, but winter has always been my favourite season (except when I have to drive to and from my home on Tiger Mountain, here in the Seattle area, during one of our fortunately rare icy slushy periods).

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
An admirable sentiment that you've expressed, Puffy. Geez, numbersix, I didn't know that you were such a young whippersnapper. LOL
I, too, am in that winter period at age 66. At this point, you start to think of how much time is left, rather than how much time before you're 18, 21, etc. You begin to re-evaluate what's important. Is it to keep working to pay the bills? Well, yeah, if you want to buy pipes and build your cellar of tobaccos. HA! Which brings to mind another item I've been thinking about lately - how funny we men are when it comes to our "hobbies" like this. We dive into them and focus so many resources on developing them... But I guess that's just part of being human. For some others, it's golf, fishing tackle, photography, wines - and for some, it's all of those and more.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I am only 52 but due to disability since 2007 I am not able to work or be as active as I used to be so I feel old at times as well.
It is important to do all you can for as long as you can regardless of age.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
At 53, the leaves in my tree are also starting to turn gold.

Like the burning bowl, piping reminds me how fleeting the time remaining is.

And yet, piping prolongs my hours, and forces contentment in the simple joys of life.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Well said Puffy. I can relate to everything you said and totally agree. Time is fleeting and we must be thankful for every day we have and treasure each friendship. Where did the time go??? :roll:

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Yes puffy i know to well what you are saying ,i will be 65 in july but i'm a old 65.

Most of my old friends are gone most of all my family too.

Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 read the whole chapter.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Sound advice... someone told me today not to blink. One day you'll at your newborn girl, and the next day you'll dance with her on your wedding day.
You give sound advice. Our lives and our moments are but gusts of wind, and yet what we do in those brief times means everything. I should take this to heart more often. Thank you.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Reflecting on life is not depressing. I'm not 'old' compared to most on here (34 in July) but I do look back at things in my life as well. I miss my grandpa dearly. It's been 4yr since he's passed and I think about him everyday. He taught me alot and helped me get through a bad car accident when I was 8. My dad was there too and he helped alot as well. I think about all the life lessons and the impressions old friends made on me as well. When I was in the Air Cadets and the Army I spent alot of time at the Legion playing darts. I was an active founding member in the Youth Dart League at the Legion when I was 14 and continued with it until I moved to Brant County 5yr ago. All the older guys there would share stories and wisdom with me. I grew up next to a WW2 veteran, retired Navy Captain and he was just like my second grandpa.
I hopefully have alot of years left to become a better person and pass on the right things to my daughter, nieces and nephews and hopefully my grandkids.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I realized something the other day. It is good to stop and enjoy things when all is well and no major crisis is going on in ones life (because soon enough there will be something new to worry and stress over).

Status
Not open for further replies.