PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
What would be German High-End pipemakers?

Does any pipe series of Vauen scan be considered high-end?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
High-end is somewhat in the mind of the customer, and in their bank account. I think German pipes tend to be high quality, including Vauen. Kemperling, the Austrian pipe, is likewise finely crafted. If high-end is a special blessing for a pipe, you may have to see one in person and make your own decision.

Reactions: craiginthecorn
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
High end is a relative term. I consider Vauen to be good quality factory pipes. Design Berlin are also well made. High end pipemakers, though, would be Cornelius Mänz, Dirk Heineman, Werner Mummert, Karl Heinz Joura, Rainer Barbi, Steffen Mueller, Tom Richard, and various Beckers, although at least one of them is Italian. There are many, many more fine German artisans and their absence from this list should not be interpreted as a slight.

Reactions: olkofri and shanez

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't remember specific names offhand, but I do remember a store in Goppingen that sells artisan pipes. From my view, they were of the same quality that you get in the U.S.A., rest of Europe, etc. Hand crafted.

You would have to go to the store in person, unfortunately, because they didn't have much of an online presence last time I looked.

If you happen to visit Germany, I have been in a number of tobacconists that stocked pipes like this, aside from the usual factory brands. It all depended on whether or not you liked the design and I think it is very localized.

Germany is famous for being a specialized industry... in everything (toys, industrial widgets, highly customized... stuff). From what I saw, pipes weren't much different. They excel at it. You probably see the tiniest fraction online of what is available in person.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Thanks for the names and links!
Seems that most German artisan pipes are freehand pipes...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think German pipes tend to be high quality, including Vauen. Kemperling, the Austrian pipe, is likewise finely crafted. If high-end is a special blessing for a pipe, you may have to see one in person and make your own decision.

I think Vauens are excellent pipes as well. I think also that 'high end' depends greatly on individual perspective. What I may consider a fancy restaurant for example, may be your everyday chain outlet.

Last edited:

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
So besides Design Berlin and Vauen, there are no other German factory pipe brands?

What Vauen series would you guys consider top notch?
Seems that Vauen makes pipes in a wide price range.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmm, in my expirience even the Weißpunkt ones differ, depending on the series...

There is also a numbering system I think, with the higher numbers being a slightly better grade. For example 4xxx is lower than a 8xxx or something.

I could be making this all up though, but I seem to recall reading that on here once. I've been looking for a nice old Vauen to restore and that's the guide I use.

Reactions: Celius

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Andreas Bauer is a very respected meer name around here, although it is Austrian, not German. I own quite a few Vauens, a couple of seconds too, and they are very good pipes. Not that expensive either ...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to own a few pipes from Rainer Barbi. They were good smokers but not great. I ended up selling them and my No American artisan pipes are superior in smoking properties. Barbi did carve some very pretty pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.