PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
George Washington pipe tobacco was an RJ Reynolds brand. I know iot was around in the forties. I don't know when they stopped making it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My grampa smoked it every day, all day. I loved the smell when I was kid. Awhile ago I was looking at just the tins and they aren't cheap if they're in any kind of shape.
The tobacco was still in production in 1972.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It sounds like something I'd have tried. Hhhmmmm... wonder if the recipe still exists?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't know why this thread was revived, but in case any one cares, I did get to smoke some and here's my review for those who may be interested:
It's too bad this hasn't been made in the last forty years. It has a sweet molasses taste reminiscent of Carter Hall, along with some earth and nutty notes, but it's a little stronger than CH with a sharp harshness. I don't believe there's a touch of red Virginia in here, but there's a little tangy note here that is reminiscent of what RV does. It also has a slight spice hit. Burns slowly, but well, leaving no dottle.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I accidentally posted here when I was researching GW tobacco. I found a unopened case of it at a local antique store and was curious about it. See my topic here: Antique Store Find

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Let’s revive this thread.

I just found this tin in my storage unit. I originally found it years ago and saved it because it is a neat tin. Today I opened it and found it about 2/3 full! I have moved the tobacco to a couple of bags, with apple slices to start the revival process. It is quite dry, but smells good. I do intend to smoke this stuff.
43028218951_a4cd800377_k_d.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A friend gave me an ounce last year from the arly 1970s, and it was much better than the early 60s version I had tried. The cut was different, mostly ribbon cut, whereas the older version was a rough, thick cut.
I don't know when it was discontinued, but where I lived in N.C., it disappeared at the end of 1974, never to be seen again.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I pulled the humidifier disk and apple slices today and moved one bag to a bowl with a damp paper towel and plate. The other bag is resting. I did smoke one bowl and it is just fine. Has some ‘spice’ but not bad at all. I will probably finish humidifying this and smoke it all. Like it.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Today I opened it and found it about 2/3 full! I have moved the tobacco to a couple of bags, with apple slices to start the revival process.
I cannot tell a lie. Cherry slices work better.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've sold a lot of those large lever top tins from the 1960's (made by R.J. Reynolds) and reports back have been not only favorable but similar. A crimp cut Burley with some stringy leaf (cavendish), infused with (depending on the reviewer), caramel or molasses. No bite, cool smoking and doesn't leave goop in the pipe.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
George Washington went off the market in 1974. It was the only pipe tobacco my grandfather smoked until he couldn't get it any longer had to switch to Carter Hall. George Washington was made by RJ Reynolds and back when they decided to cut back on pipe tobacco, George Washington was discontinued and they kept Prince Albert.
I bought a 14 oz tin from pipestud last August. The tobacco was actually in a smoking condition and still soft and supple. I could still pick up the molasses aroma in the tin.

I took it to a New Orleans Pipe Club meeting and two of the guys remembered smoking it when you could buy it in the drugstores. They said it was a little more mellow than what they remembered but it still tasted good.
I transferred it to jars and about once a month I will pull out a bowl or two and smoke it. I did a review on my blog last October: https://pappyjoesblog.com/george-washington-smoked/

Reactions: f4phantomdriver
Status
Not open for further replies.