Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought a tin of C&D's Gentleman Caller on a whim because one of the ingredients is Deer Tongue.

This blend has Va, Burley a dash of Perique and Deer Tongue. Deer Tongue was traditionally used in tobaccos as a vanilla substitute.

The tin note reminded me of something familiar but I couldn't quite place it. Then it hit me that GC reminded me of the original Half&Half from 30 years ago.

I'd call the cut "chopped ribbon". The color is medium to dark brown and the green flakes are the Deer Tongue. It packs well, burns cool and does not bite. Nothing harsh about it at all. The room note is delightful and does bring memories of Grand Dad's pipe.

There are other reviews on tobaccoreviews.com ( it is listed as #421:Gentleman Caller in the C&D list) and my comments echo the others. I've smoked 3 bowls so far and this will be in the rotation for sure.

I think that many folks could make this their all day smoke.

For what it is worth I'd recommend this to new and experienced pipe smokers as something different and quite pleasant.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice review, thanks for posting it!
I almost picked some of this up while we were at the Richmond pipe show, but I opted for something else. There are just so many blends out there that it drives me crazy when trying to pick out a new one, lol.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
My Dad always said that Half&Half use to have Deers tongue in it.... Guess I shoulda listened!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Its been a couple of weeks with this blend and I find that I am returning to it more often. There's something about it that is captivating. One of the "regulars" at the B&M sampled mine and ordered a tin and I just ordered another couple for myself.

If you're looking for something uniquely different that leaves a really nice room note and gives a very cool smoke I highly recommend Gentleman Caller.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Deer tongue is a plant. I thought the same thing when I first read this but after a bit of research I felt silly. I am glad I wasn't the only one now.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I smelled the tin aroma on this while at the Richmond Show and liked it a lot. Then I went about other business, came back to get some and they were all sold out.
I still want to get some.
Deer tongue herb is getting very hard to get . More Government foolishness.
Que Pasa UncleArthur?

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
The deer tongue is the Liatris odoratissima. It has an component, the coumarin, used to flavoring tobaccos and in Medicine as anticoagulant. It's the same component found in the Tonka Bean (Dypterix odorata)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Skipper, it was my understanding that deertongue was a member of the vanilla family, Carphephorus. It seems that this is contradicted by the reference to the Liatris odoratissima plant you mentioned. Are there any botanists out there?

Deertongue plant

Deertongueplant.jpg

Deertongue flower

Deertongueflower.jpg

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
The Carphephorus odoratissima (sin. Trilisa odoratissima) also contains coumarine.

It´s original from SE of the USA, so it can be your Deer tongue.

The Liatris is an european species, and was included in the ancient british laws as allowed to flavour the tobacco.
Edit myself: some authors are referring the Liatris as sinonimous for the Trilisa or Carphephorus. The Liatris is CULTIVATED in England, but is also an american species.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the clarification Skipper.

In any event, I enjoy it as a blend amendment on occasion -- if used sparingly.

It has an interesting spicy taste: bright and festive, that goes well with winter

holiday scents and flavors.
I've sampled several deertongue blends over the years, and may have had blends

in which it was employed with such restraint that I couldn't clearly isolate its

taste -- which might have been its best use. But of those blends which feature

deertongue, I think 4noggins' MOJO employs it with consummate good taste.

Prominent, but not cloying.

Status
Not open for further replies.