PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I find the people on this forum are great. I've been on many forums and there is always squabbling. Long ago I had a part time job at Walmart. I smoked cigarettes. The break room was sizeable with a walled off section for smokers. I'd have lunch and breaks in there while smoking. All the smokers were pleasant people, good company. I quit the cigs and went to the smoke free part of the lounge. Land of the living dead. Boring, emotionless, introverted group of people. Even though I no longer smoked, back to the smoking lounge for good company. Same when I was in the Navy. The fun crowd were outside on the smoke desks. Anybody have the same experience?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both drinking and smoking were intensely social activities, so were associated with sociability and gregarious attitudes. Now I'm not sure how that works. I think marketing data shows a lot of people are drinking a lot alone these days, and maybe that is true of smoking as well. I think the traditional idea was that drinking and smoking were ways of sharing something pleasant with others, even strangers, in bars and smoking lounges. In any case, I think Forums members are uncommonly companionable and upbeat, as a group, whether they are sociable or not in other aspects of their lives. This is a real anomaly online, where rage and irrationality reign.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally think that decent moderation is a key part of that. I've been on a few forums that are decent and people act civilized and the most consistent factor is moderation.
The thing is without any moderation not only can things get out of hand pretty easily. And once they get out of hand they tend to stay out of hand. Compound that with genuine trolls who get a thrill out of derailing anyone's good time, usually because they feel incredibly pathetic and the closest thing to joy they can experience is trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are (every complete troll I've known fits that profile). Then add in how easy it is for tone to be misunderstood. You say you don't like a certain blend and don't understand why anyone would enjoy it, and I read it as an attack.....
Even if most people are decent and polite, it doesn't take much for that to all go to shit, when there are pretty much zero consequences. It's hard to have a good conversation with a jerk face yelling at everyone and starting fights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of damaged people with no idea how to stop being that way, nor the desire. Yes, moderation is the key, to give accountability and keep discussions in balance. People were so idealistic about the internet when it was new. Beautiful things were going to happen, the freeing of the spirit and new heights of creativity. Some great things have been done, but it doesn't feel so great now.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
A lot of damaged people with no idea how to stop being that way, nor the desire. Yes, moderation is the key, to give accountability and keep discussions in balance. People were so idealistic about the internet when it was new. Beautiful things were going to happen, the freeing of the spirit and new heights of creativity. Some great things have been done, but it doesn't feel so great now.
I remember thinking that it would change arguments. That instead of fighting people would just look up who was right. Fun fact I've found it has had that effect in real life. :)
It's like a lot of things in life you, you have to account for that small percentage of terrible people. The kind of people that steal toys from children because they hate joy.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
People were so idealistic about the internet when it was new. Beautiful things were going to happen, the freeing of the spirit and new heights of creativity. Some great things have been done, but it doesn't feel so great now
People thought the same thing about TV. It was going to be a means of enlightenment, edification and entertainment...

Fortunately televisions have an off switch and forums can have good mods.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I personally think that decent moderation is a key part of that. I've been on a few forums that are decent and people act civilized and the most consistent factor is moderation.
The thing is without any moderation not only can things get out of hand pretty easily. And once they get out of hand they tend to stay out of hand. Compound that with genuine trolls who get a thrill out of derailing anyone's good time, usually because they feel incredibly pathetic and the closest thing to joy they can experience is trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are (every complete troll I've known fits that profile). Then add in how easy it is for tone to be misunderstood. You say you don't like a certain blend and don't understand why anyone would enjoy it, and I read it as an attack.....
Even if most people are decent and polite, it doesn't take much for that to all go to shit, when there are pretty much zero consequences. It's hard to have a good conversation with a jerk face yelling at everyone and starting fights.
Agreed. Misery loves company.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I think to be a pipe smoker you have to have certain qualities. One you have to move at least some what to your own drummer. You have to find pleasure something worth not only seeking but genuinely working towards. Kind of like how eating at fancy restaurants shows you like chasing good things, but learning how to cook shows you're willing to put effort in and not just receive pleasure but actively participate in it. You have to be somewhat curious and somewhat experimental. All things that might not make someone a better or worse person but certainly makes them a bit more interesting. I swear this is the biggest collection of oddballs and freaks I've run across. And more then that a diverse crew of freaks as in not all the same kind of weirdos. It takes some intelligence to enjoy a pipe as well. Not like rocket scientist but you have to be able to learn a figure out some things that are more complicated then smoking a cigarette. And finally one thing that seems common being anachronistic i.e. not so tied up in what's current but more interested in things outside their place in time (i.e. into things that are timeless.).
Also there aren't enough of us so we might as well pretend to like each other :).

Reactions: romaso