PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbornefish

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
I am a fairly new pipe smoker (2 years now), though most of what I know is basics I got off youtube. A decent lighting technique and packing technique, one way to thoroughly clean a pipe, and that's about it. I assume (more like hope) that I am not the only one. I have many questions that have no answers. For example, why does tamping help, how much resin is too much in the bowl, is there a term for ir besides bowl, how can I get resin out without damaging the bowl via scraping it, does that even matter, what exactly is "Cavendish", why do I keep getting condensation in my pipe stem while I smoke it and the tobacco in the bowl end up moist, can/should I prevent that, what is stem oxidation and how do I stop it because it sounds bad, back to flavors, what does all the terminology in flavor descriptions mean, why does some tobacco burn slower than others, the list goes on. Anyone have answers to any or all of those? Does anyone have another question I did not think of that a more experienced smoker may be able to answer? If so, post them here, I want to learn and I'm sure I am not the only one. I got my second pipe yesterday so I feel like I am adding pipe smoking to my list of hobbies and interests, right up here with shooting and reading (the first of which doesn't mix with pipes easily. The latter is a different story though). Also, what do I need to do each time I smoke to generally maintain and prolong the life of my pipe (I know very little about pipe maintenance). Thanks!

Fish

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Airborne it will all fall in place as you go, tamping is important to keep fire in contact with tobbaco, don" push down hard and tamp at 45 degrees to keep hot spot away from sides, that enough for today, enjoy your new found hobby. The old cajun

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome, airbornefish.
I think you'll be able to get your questions answered here. Start by searching through the articles and forums. Here is a start for you to read:
Tobacco Basics

Pipe Smoking Tips
Lots of beginners have the same questions. If you start a new thread for each question, that will help others who are looking for the same answers.
I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
why does tamping help - It keeps the "fire" in touch with the next level down
how much resin is too much in the bowl - By resin I assume you mean the cake? if so keep it to the thickness of a dime or nickel... the exact thickness will be up to you as some people like even less than that.
is there a term for ir besides bowl - no... the bowl is the bowl and the inside of the bowl is the chamber
how can I get resin out without damaging the bowl via scraping it - When the cake becomes too thick its best to use a reamer... NEVER just scrape it out or you WILL damage the chamber walls
does that even matter - yes... a well maintained and cleaned pipe will be a joy to smoke.
what exactly is "Cavendish" - its a style of curing the tobacco
why do I keep getting condensation in my pipe stem while I smoke it and the tobacco in the bowl end up moist - your tobacco might be too "wet" and/or you are puffing away too fast
can/should I prevent that - its up to you, if you want you can let the tobacco dry on a paper towel for about 30 minutes (or how ever long it takes) to dry it out if too moist... also smoke slower.
I hope that answers some of your questions... but as the others have said... with time all these things will come to you with experimentation. What works for one person will not work for another. You have to find what works for you so that you enjoy the pipe to its fullest.
Now go smoke a damn bowl! :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Personally I don't use the word "resin" when describing the cake... it's a term more fitting to those "other" pipes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums. I think Captainprophesy answered your questions very well. In regards to tamping, to put it another way, tamping pushes the ash back down making it easier for the flame to reach the actual tobacco.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
Personally I don't use the word "resin" when describing the cake... it's a term more fitting to those "other" pipes.
- Well said. Without sounding judgmental, I would prefer to continue to keep the world or tobacco smoking completely separate from "other" realms, the use of a distinct terminology or vocabulary helps in this regard.
airbornefish - welcome. As a fellow new comer to the forum, I can tell you that the more senior posters on this site have significantly helped me better understand the intricacies of pipe smoking, a fact that has directly led to more enjoyable smoking experiences.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum Fish! The answers are here and lots of good folks to help you find them. Ask away!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, 'fish. :clap:
Into it for 2 yrs. and you're only on your 2nd pipe? You need more pipes -- or you need to smoke more! :lol:
Cobs are a practical choice. Also, a meerschaum can be smoked a little more frequently than briars.

You can find pipes to suit your needs at the sponsors' sites listed in the left hand column of this page.
I think the pipe "nail" in the picture below is the single most useful tool I own. It tamps, scoops, and safely scrapes.

DSCN0442.jpg

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Perhaps the "fish" has some strange natural immunity to PAD. That will surely wear off if he stays here long enough. Welcome "fish". Most of us suffer terribly from this affliction of "pipe acquisition disorder". Stay strong my friend and enjoy your smokes. The first step we have all taken is admitting we have a problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.