PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"the USAF would be a really good fit for me"
Just curious what makes you say this.
I spent 5 years in the Navy but for the life of me I can't remember what made me choose that over the other services.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Murf,
I spent five and half years in the USAF as a pharmacy technician. The recruiter advised me that it would be an easy job, working in air conditioned hospitals nine to five. Trust me, it was nothing like that! I was assigned to World Wide Mobility status where I had to have two bags packed and ready to go anytime. One was for cold weather and one was for hot. When the call came it was, "Get down to the flight line with your "B" bag." You kiss the wife goodbye not knowing where you are going or when you will be back. It was hard enough with just me and my wife. I don't know how we would have done it with children, but I know thousands of service men and women do this all the time. Are you ready to make sacrifices like this? Think carefully. I witnessed many marriages fall apart from the strain.
On the other hand, any medical related career choice is a good one, but consider getting your training civilian side. Four years of your family's life is a large price to pay for vocational training.
I'm not too worried about foreign holding companies owning businesses. They're in it for the investment. It's a world economy now. There is no turning back.
By the way, have you ever tried Suntory Whiskey? Ecchhh! When I was stationed in Japan a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label was your ticket to anywhere =)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has been an entertaining thread. What I get from murf is that he loves being a dad and that he's got a really supportive partner in his wife.

It's wonderful to see that point in life, where one is still at an early point in the journey.
As for some of the kibbitzing, I now know where my mother's mah jong girls got to.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Joining armed forces, followed by marriage and children = fine idea.
Married plus children, then joining armed forces = bad idea.
Trying to buy only American made products = nearly impossible idea.
Trying to buy ony American grown pipe tobacco = impossible idea.
Seeking life coaching on an Internet forum = worst of the preceding ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.