PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Georgij

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
I would suggest finding a light english with some orientals and latakia, that was the first taste I could recognize behind the smoke. It's a bold enough flavor that you don't have to search for it very hard. I'm a newbie though, so... 🤷‍♂️
Isn't latakia extremely smoky and harsh?

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
It is campfire smokey, but it is a flavor you can easily pick out. I don't find it particularly harsh... depends on your definition of harsh guess. It's not heavy in the nicotine so it won't contribute to making your head swim. I kinda like C&D Pirate Kake and it's mostly latakia... but I wouldn't recommend starting with that.

Reactions: Georgij

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
A couple things.
First, aromatics almost never taste like they smell, or like their "room note", Ive never found a single one that did.
Second, if you don't like the taste of tobacco, you may not enjoy pipe smoking. Even goopy American style aromatics taste like tobacco.
The type of pipe tobacco that is the furthest from cigarette flavor, is gonna be English blends with Latakia in my opinion.
But, Latakia is kind of an acquired taste.
Most newbies don't care for it. Over time many will acquire the taste for Latakia.
Again, pipe tobacco does not taste like it smells in the pouch, or the room......in my experience.

Georgij

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
It is campfire smokey, but it is a flavor you can easily pick out. I don't find it particularly harsh... depends on your definition of harsh guess. It's not heavy in the nicotine so it won't contribute to making your head swim. I kinda like C&D Pirate Kake and it's mostly latakia... but I wouldn't recommend starting with that.
I guess I'll just have to head to the tobacco shop and get a basic tobacco then, maybe it doesn't taste as bad as I think it will!
Thanks for the insight

Georgij

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
A couple things.
First, aromatics almost never taste like they smell, or like their "room note", Ive never found a single one that did.
Second, if you don't like the taste of tobacco, you may not enjoy pipe smoking. Even goopy American style aromatics taste like tobacco.
The type of pipe tobacco that is the furthest from cigarette flavor, is gonna be English blends with Latakia in my opinion.
But, Latakia is kind of an acquired taste.
Most newbies don't care for it. Over time many will acquire the taste for Latakia.
Again, pipe tobacco does not taste like it smells in the pouch, or the room......in my experience.
That's really unfortunate, it might just not be for me, I thought it might be a bit more mellow, but I can't get over the smell of smoke and ash, burning tobacco.. if I force myself to like it I might end up hating it.
Or maybe try a very basic tobacco

68748Joe

Lurker
May 12, 2024
Nebraska USA
This is very similar to what I experienced just a couple month ago when I began pipe smoking. I bought a lot of different tobacco 1oz samples to try out and I’m kinda embarrassed to say that I now have about 15 pipes. I started with a non filtered pipe and smoking different blends, trying to go slow and keep the bowl as cool as I can, I just wasn’t enjoying the “flavor”. Bought a filtered pipe, Found Lane 1Q & BCA, as well as Capt. Black Dark, and am now a happy camper. I do have a couple non filter pipes I smoke on occasion, but mostly enjoy a filtered model better. Helps with my terrible technique as I know I’m smokin too fast. But usually my time is limited. But buying pipes is a serious disease. I just ordered a Japanese estate pipe from another well known site. Crazy. Lol. But I can’t wait to give it a go. And I have noticed that some of my pipes seem to smoke and taste better than another one does. Not sure why. Quality of the pipe itself?

Anyways, after that very long winded ramble above, I’d suggest trying those three brands I settled with, and getting a filtered pipe. Or two, or three, on and on. Have to rest your pipes after smoking right? It’s like pro pitchers, a one in five starting rotation. Oh, and read this forum. Great people and great advice!

Good Luck! And I’m sure it’ll work itself out. There are so many pipe and tobacco variations out there. It is kinda daunting for sure when just starting out.

Joe

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m not a fan of English or Latakia blends, but when I started I smoked Early Morning Pipe every morning on my commute. It got me tasting things, and building a cadence. I haven’t smoked it in probably over a year, and have developed what I really like.
The only “flavored” (non-Lakeland, etc) aro that tastes closely to its smell, yet tastes like quality tobacco that I really like now and again is Dan Devil’s Holiday. Highly recommended, but only if you like berry-cause it’s berries!

Reactions: mpjetset

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's really hard to advise you on tobaccos to try,since I'm not sure what's available,but I would agree that aros are not a good starting point, for the reasons mentioned.
I would generally suggest going for one of the classic, readily available, "all-day smokes". Maybe Amphora Original?

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hello, I recently bought a used Chimney pipe, I have never smoked anything before... SNIP
Hi, great advice from others. I'll add that chimneys are difficult to master, and your reply below that the raw chamber is only thinly coated will exacerbate the difficulties. Some might say you should put it away for a while, and the corncob suggestions are spot on ($10 price range from Missouri Meerschaum, even found on Amazon).

But, since you have it you might as well start breaking it in. Try packing a pinch loosely, and a second pinch with a little press (you'll be able to tamp in a moment). Your chimney should be less than half full. Light a chimney with aong match, not a torch. You can use a Bic at max but draw gently a few puffs. Don't burn yourself.

You will get a lot of smoke and some flavor, but just slow down, now. Some will let this "charring light" go out first, but this is when you should tamp gently, and re-light.

This will be your main smoke for a while, but hold back, don't go nuts. Let the gentle draws of smoke play over your tongue; you should not think about it like sipping through a straw; in your stage it should be more of a gentle kiss. The slower and shallower you go, the more you will learn from the experience. You'll ramp up in time.

Coffee or tea, something slightly acidic, or water, will wash the alkaline residue from your tongue and palate to mitigate an alkali burn, which is a part of "tongue bite."

Enjoy practicing with these shallow bowls, building a little higher with each smoke. It'll help build a good cake at the bottom, which is important for chimneys.

If there is wet tobacco left at the bottom, you have smoked too intently. Your goal is white ash at the bottom of that chimney. You can swab the wet floor with a pipe cleaner, and let it dry 24 hours. Don't try to keep wet tobacco alight.

Reply to let us know, and please include a picture of that new pipe.

Reactions: 68748Joe

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Isn't latakia extremely smoky and harsh?
In blends such as Early Morning Pipe, Presbyterian, or similar - Latakia is absolutely NOT harsh in my opinion. I feel that opinion is shared by many, though perhaps not all.
Those are just 2 examples in that genre that helped me, although there were some others.
What you will get is more smoke from your pipe with a Latakia blend, and that may be helpful to some who are learning, I think it was helpful for me, because with the beginners lack of taste and knowledge regarding how the leaf is burning, the extra smoke helped let me know that it was indeed performing as needed - telling me to not puff zealously, but calm down and search for what was already being provided. The "extra" visual smoke was a positive constant reminder.
More will be learned from trying and experimenting than debating online...
Nothing is better than personal experience, practice, etc.
Poor experiences are great learning tools too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
hey even having smoked a pipe since 94 some tobaccos just don't like staying lit. If you're stuck on the idea of aromatics try and find a few that burn easier and are more forgiving. Best bet is to read reviews of aromatics that sound good to you and are available and see which ones people say handle and smoke the easiest.

Reactions: FLDRD and mpjetset