PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I think that I'm around my second month of pipe smoking and thus far it is a very delightful experience for me and I'm coming across some questions.
1. How do you guys store your tobacco? Do you have more than one blend ready to smoke? For now I'm storing mine in their pouches.
2. Should aromatics be dried? Most of you say so and I'm thinking about doing it too.
3. And I've asked a lot for any blends to try but this is a constantly evolving journey for me, so I think that aromatics aren't something I totally enjoy and I'd like to try something more smokey and tobaccoey but still pleasant for everyone around me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How do you guys store your tobacco?
Jars

Do you have more than one blend ready to smoke?
Close to 100.

Should aromatics be dried?
Yes, some more so than others.

so I think that aromatics aren't something I totally enjoy
Aromatics really aren't for beginners, save those for much later down the road.

I'd like to try something more smokey and tobaccoey but still pleasant for everyone around me.
Smokey and pleasant to those around you are elusive and nearly mutually exclusive unless you are around other smokers.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome.
You can keep your tobacco in the original pouch or tin if you are going to smoke it all in a relatively short period of time - ten days or so. Otherwise, jar it.
I keep 24-30 blends in rotation at one time.
And, as was indicated above, trying to satisfy that last point is extremely difficult if not impossible.
Enjoy the journey. puffy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Smoking around others:
Personally I prefer the "smokey" flavours of Latakia and Balkan/Turkish blends, but I find they are quite polarising to non-smokers eg my wife, for one. Most of my smoking is done on my own.
If I'm smoking around others (non-smokers) I would choose an aromatic as the room note is much more acceptable.
In between those 2 extremes are Virginias, Virginia-Perique blends, Cavendish and Burleys
Tobaccos to try:
Aromatics are likely to give you tongue bite unless you learn to smoke "cool"
Flakes, plugs and rope tobaccos are also best left until you are a bit more experienced at judging the moisture content of the tobacco.
Experimentation is your best teacher.

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Jars

Close to 100.

Yes, some more so than others.

Aromatics really aren't for beginners, save those for much later down the road.

Smokey and pleasant to those around you are elusive and nearly mutually exclusive unless you are around other smokers.
Thank you for your detailed reply sir!
I've found out that the taste of the aromatics isn't something that excites me, so to be more precise on what I meant is that I want a blend that is smokier tasting. I think this is more important for me. Another question, is any of the Peterson blends good for beginners?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've found out that the taste of the aromatics isn't something that excites me, so to be more precise on what I meant is that I want a blend that is smokier tasting. I think this is more important for me. Another question, is any of the Peterson blends good for beginners?
Peterson is great because they are consistently available. Other brands you may consider that usually are in stock are Solani and Stokerbye.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
Peterson. Early morning pipe or nightcap is very good for beginners I'd say.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
What’s a beginner pipe? I mean, what makes it so? Thank you in advance. ?
I always recommend cobs for starters. Less $, less knowledge required for stuff like breakin, less ghosting, and very forgiving of the learning curve, and all the mistakes you will make getting going. Most also have the option to experiment with filters if anyone is curious about those things.

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I think that I'm around my second month of pipe smoking and thus far it is a very delightful experience for me and I'm coming across some questions.
1. How do you guys store your tobacco? Do you have more than one blend ready to smoke? For now I'm storing mine in their pouches.
2. Should aromatics be dried? Most of you say so and I'm thinking about doing it too.
3. And I've asked a lot for any blends to try but this is a constantly evolving journey for me, so I think that aromatics aren't something I totally enjoy and I'd like to try something more smokey and tobaccoey but still pleasant for everyone around me.
1. I'm a fairly new smoker (one year). I store my tobacco in mason jars (canning jars) as they are good at moisture retention. They are inexpensive to buy as well. For a 50g (1.75 oz) tin of tobacco, a 250ml jar is perfect. Right now I have 8 blends ready to go.

2. As a result of the advice on these forums, I'm focusing on non-aromatic blends, as I want to develop my palate and learn to distinguish between various tobacco flavours without having to add the complexity of added toppings. So, for now I'm smoking Pure Virginia, Cavendish and simple English blends. As of today, Virginia and Cavendish are favourites. If a tobacco is too moist, it helps to leave it out for 30-60 minutes before smoking. If a tobacco is too dry, there are simple methods of rehydrating it. Check the forums or Youtube for help with this.

3. Tobacco is very pricey where I live, so I'm trying to be economical while on the journey to discovering my favourites. One thing I did was to buy pouches of Amphora Virginia, Amphora Burley, Amphora Black Cavendish and Amphora Original Blend in order to sample some basic blends. Having thereby discovered that I enjoy a mild tobacco with a lower nic-hit, I've spent some time searching for that on tobaccoreviews.com. This has led me to add to the mix: MacBaren HH Pure Virginia, MacBaren Vanilla Flake, MacBaren's Mixture: Scottish Blend, Peterson Early Morning Pipe and Astley's No. 55 Elizabethan.

Enjoy the ride. Cheers!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Try English/Balkan. EMP is a good choice along with 965. But, don't judge them by the first bowl. Open the tin, move it to a jar and give it a week. Lat will mellow out a bit.

As to the blend that will please others. Screw that. I'm a selfish bastard. If I smoke something that pleases me, I know for sure at least one person is happy, me.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Try English/Balkan. EMP is a good choice along with 965. But, don't judge them by the first bowl. Open the tin, move it to a jar and give it a week. Lat will mellow out a bit.

As to the blend that will please others. Screw that. I'm a selfish bastard. If I smoke something that pleases me, I know for sure at least one person is happy, me.
I agree, nobody has another persons taste buds.

Perhaps if one likes strong coffees and teas, it might indicate your tobacco preferences.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
My tip is dont overthink it. Sposed to be fun.