PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’m going to bump this and hope I find some help. I see info on the web about placing it on a stem, but I haven’t seen anything about removing one. Anyone?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Ryan, I have no concise idea what would work easily and without damage to the Rondelle.

George would the best person to contact, IMHO. Heat might work, then again, without knowing if it is pushed into place or glued .... you may end up with a damaged Rondelle.

My gut instinct is to carefully remove material from the stem. Cut it down, near the Rondelle and very gently remove material until only the Rondelle is left .... then again.... that's a ton of work....

Reactions: anotherbob and Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Thanks for the tips!

I bought this pipe just for the rondelle, so I’m not worried about the stem. It’s really just a donor. I am now concerned I won’t be able to do it at all. I guess there is only one way to find out.

There is something I’m curious about though, if they are this hard to remove how do so many of them end up missing? 😃 I see them missing from stems all the time, and those stems are not destroyed!

Reactions: kcghost

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the tips!

I bought this pipe just for the rondelle, so I’m not worried about the stem. It’s really just a donor. I am now concerned I won’t be able to do it at all. I guess there is only one way to find out.

There is something I’m curious about though, if they are this hard to remove how do so many of them end up missing? 😃 I see them missing from stems all the time, and those stems are not destroyed!

Depends on the specimen.

They were pushed into the rubber using an arbor press with a heated ram.

If the "fold over" of the surrounding rubber was too shallow, sometimes they just fell out of their own accord years down the road. Removing those can be clean and easy. If the fold-over was heavy, they have to be cut out. In-between cases can usually be heated and pried out (though that risks rondell damage if you guess wrong, get your angles wrong, etc.)

Reactions: briarblues and Ryan

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never had the need to try this myself, but Steve Laug did it back in 2013, with a soldering iron. Details:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So you are saying its possible...

It's definitely possible, just very tricky and unforgiving.

Unless you have a heated ram arbor press available (or equivalent), a recess for the rondelle must be cut by hand... a recess that's a perfect "negative" shape and depth-wise to glue it into, and is in exactly the right spot/position on the stem.

After the stem is otherwise finished. (a.k.a. screw up and start over)

Here's a replacement stem I made for Greg Pease many years ago with a silver rondelle. (Silver specimens are unusual, but not truly rare).

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.58.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.59.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.59.56 PM.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've never had the need to try this myself, but Steve Laug did it back in 2013, with a soldering iron. Details:

Melting without having zero side-to-side movement/axial control, arbor press-style, leaves the edges pretty messy, though:

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 8.22.37 PM.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Here are the pipes I hope to do the transplant upon. I don’t have much money in these pipes, and they aren’t valuable collectors items either, so I may go for it after I think about it a while longer and then overthink it also.
EF6CCE03-4D7A-48FD-9893-F0C295D4279F.jpeg
9DF3DDA8-A0AC-408C-83FC-79A20A48AB17.jpeg

I did try the stem with the intact logo in the pipe with the intact stummel. The tenon fit ok, and could be be worked out, but the overall diameter of stem is larger than the overall diameter of the shank.

I don’t think that’s something I would want to deal with, given the stem with the missing logo is actually better overall shape and has less oxidation than the logo-intact stem.

Lastly, this is what my dog thinks of my tedious pipe posts.
996C0620-032B-4D0F-8C33-4A386B5A9EC7.jpeg

Attachments

• 98FF984A-95F9-4FCD-8282-4362E533967C.jpeg
    98FF984A-95F9-4FCD-8282-4362E533967C.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 3

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Reactions: anotherbob and Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I would like it to look good, but I didn’t need it to be perfect.

I have a pretty full wood shop available to me, but I only have a vague notion of the tools that are applicable to this situation.

I’m willing to put in some time. I am looking forward to this project.

Reactions: anotherbob

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Put a piece of electric tape over the one you want removed. Heat up the area with a heat gun and see if it comes out. Might damage it, might get it right out.

Reactions: Ryan
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I've had pretty good luck removing them with a very thin fine tooth backsaw. I saw down the length of the stem behind the emblem being sure to remain parallel to the emblem. This will produce a slab of stem material with the emblem in the middle. Then you need to sand the back of the slab up to the emblem exposing the entire back of the emblem, this will allow you to simply pop the emblem out of the slab.

Reactions: Ryan