PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I should say my mom found it in a box of pipes and stands she bought in an auction and recently sent to me. It included a nice MM freehand on a plaque. Next on the list was this French-made GBD.
"GBD Universe" is stamped on one side, "1352" (the shape) on the other. Below are before and after pics. It has a couple small battle scars on the front of the bowl, and the rim is slightly rough in one spot, but all it needed was a good cleaning followed by a light scrubbing with a Magic Eraser and a healthy coat of carnauba wax.
I was unable to find any dating information for this model. Can anyone can give me a ballpark production date, perhaps...?

IMG_20201106_211519.jpgIMG_20201106_211550.jpgIMG_20201106_233415.jpg

Reactions: solideogloria86

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At some point GBD moved from France to England. Why are the English pipes less liked? I don't own either, but I have wondered. Most French pipes are well above their price point in quality, new or estate.

Jack.Grave

Lurker
Mar 7, 2020
Prague, Czech Republic
Iu would say it dates somewhere between 1968 until 1980/1, but morelikely into 1970s. It still have brass rondel and it looks to me as it is influenced by Danish freehand design, which became faishionable in that period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.