PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This New Era pipe is the only one that I've ever seen that does not have a shape number stamp. It is stamped "Collector" and sports a "Hand Cut" stem and stamp, somewhat rare on a New Era grade pipe.

Another simple restoration, with full details on the Reborn Pipes site in the link below:

Before:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Came across a GBD Collector at an antique shop in Kingsport, TN last month but decided to pass on it. It was a beautiful pipe with a sterling silver band (with hallmarks) but the shank had been broken at some time. The silver band was covering part of the stamping. Instead of reading Collector, only Collec was visible. As for the GBD in the oval, the band covered every thing behind the "B". The word Prestige was also partially cut off. And they only wanted $100 for the pipe.

Just wasn't worth it to me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Came across a GBD Collector at an antique shop in Kingsport, TN last month but decided to pass on it. It was a beautiful pipe with a sterling silver band (with hallmarks) but the shank had been broken at some time. The silver band was covering part of the stamping. Instead of reading Collector, only Collec was visible. As for the GBD in the oval, the band covered every thing behind the "B". The word Prestige was also partially cut off. And they only wanted $100 for the pipe.

Just wasn't worth it to me.

Probably a wise move, sounds like a repair band vs a GBD Sterling band.
$100 seems very high.
I've had this one in the Classifieds and on Ebay at $69 with nary a taker.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I have an Irwin with the same "Collector" stamping. Interesting that they use that mark on both lines.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Probably a wise move, sounds like a repair band vs a GBD Sterling band.
$100 seems very high.
I've had this one in the Classifieds and on Ebay at $69 with nary a taker.
Possibly but the Sterling band on the GBD in an oval. Then again, that was the first silver banded GBD I've seen, so I it may have been a repair band.

Status
Not open for further replies.